Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   suggestions for giving this old quilt new life (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/suggestions-giving-old-quilt-new-life-t65070.html)

sarge1 09-16-2010 11:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My boss gave me this quilt. His grandmother made it, but alas, one of his dogs got to it, and he gave it to me to do with it what I wished. Well, what I'd really love to do is give it back to him in some form. It is not repairable as is. My next thought was to cut out the save-able blocks (about 13) and make a lap quilt; Or, even better, to use the quilt to make teddy bears for his two granddaughters. Someone told me teddy bears are tricky ??
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance

dog food....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69362[/ATTACH]

some blocks are worn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70107[/ATTACH]

KarylMc 09-16-2010 12:23 PM

I have a very very old quilt also, that I would like to repair/restore. I will be very interested in seeing the replies to this...

Prism99 09-16-2010 12:35 PM

Teddy bears *are* tricky to make and rather time-consuming. Plus, the ones I have seen have been made from "cutter" quilts that were originally pieced quilts rather than applique quilts. I think it would be much harder to make the teddy bears out of the appliqued quilt because of the need for positioning the butterflies.

If you haven't made teddy bears before, I would recommend making at least one first so you can see how it goes and where the butterflies would need to fall.

Scissor Queen 09-16-2010 12:41 PM

You could salvage 8 blocks and turn them into 2 four block wall hangings for the granddaughters.

MadQuilter 09-16-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You could salvage 8 blocks and turn them into 2 four block wall hangings for the granddaughters.

ANd if there are any stray single blocks in the OK category, I would frame them.

Scissor Queen 09-16-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

ANd if there are any stray single blocks in the OK category, I would frame them.

Or turn them into decorative pillows with eyelet ruffles.

tortoisethreads 09-16-2010 12:55 PM

I saw on a blog that a woman had covered a small chair using a cutter quilt. It looked really cute.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-16-2010 01:07 PM

Instead of teddy bears, cats would would be easy to make. But all the other suggestions are great.

quilt crazee 09-16-2010 01:18 PM

I would make pillows, square ones,bolster types,rectangles ,ect. framing singles is another good call- there are several12-12.5 frames available for framing lp's that might work for you or sectionals where you build the size you need.--both are fairly inexpensive!

Tink's Mom 09-16-2010 02:56 PM

If you decide to do bears, make sure that the pattern only has a couple of parts. I used to have an old one that had 2 pieces, the arms and legs are extensions of the body and head. So you cut 2 fronts and 2 backs and put together. I think the pattern was McCalls.