Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Suggestions please with my old UFO blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/suggestions-please-my-old-ufo-blocks-t192952.html)

katsewnsew 06-27-2012 02:15 PM

Suggestions please with my old UFO blocks

3 Attachment(s)
I cannot tell you when I started these, it has been a looooooong time ago.
I have 18 blocks made and in the 3rd picture, there was this fabric bagged up
with the blocks. My goal this year was to start finishing up my UFO projects.
Not sure if that additional fabric will work with the blocks, is it too busy looking?
Also, am thinking of doing the top on point with this yardage as a plain block
between the pieced blocks. Should I use sashing, please, any suggestions
would be appreciated. First timer loading pix, so hope all goes well.
Thanks, kat

quilter1943 06-27-2012 02:19 PM

I love your color choices and that is one of my favorite old patterns. I'm using it in a quilt I'm designing that will be all traditional pieced blocks. Best way to put it together is just to lay it out or put it on your design wall and try different ways. Putting it on point will add a lot of interest. What about some solid navy with it - or solid gold? Maybe the other print would make a nice backing for it. Let us see it when you have it finished.

Cosy 06-27-2012 02:28 PM

Very nice work, really like the colors. I agree the extra would be a nicer back than on the front. Maybe match the (cream?) background for the alternating blocks. Yes, play with it on your design wall. What is the name of that block?

katsewnsew 06-27-2012 02:33 PM

I think its Monkey Wrench, or churn dash or at least one of the names for it. So you both are saying that I should NOT use that
fabric in the quilt top but perhaps use it in the backing. I thought of the Navy strips for sashing, and if I can find
a good match for the gold, use that, too. On point really looks good to me, but I have very little left of these fabrics, so I have to be sure what I do. Thanks, kat

jtquilts 06-27-2012 02:36 PM

On one hand, if you like the blended look, the third fabric will work beautifully. On the other hand, I agree with the solid navy or gold. I personally think either look would work. I will be interested in seeing what you decide. Happy Sewing!

lmc8 06-27-2012 02:39 PM

I think those are named "churn dash" blocks. I wouldn't use the extra fabric for sashing, it would blend into the blocks to well; and wouldn't show off final machine quilting either. I like the idea of useing it for the back though. I'd try a solid white for sashing which together would give it a nice fresh look.

Digitizingqueen 06-27-2012 02:40 PM

Love the blocks, like the idea of solid blue to finish it off sashing and borders to frame your blocks...

cavmom 06-27-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen (Post 5321509)
Love the blocks, like the idea of solid blue to finish it off sashing and borders to frame your blocks...

I agree. i think solid blue sashing would make the blocks pop!

LTeachergeorge 06-27-2012 03:23 PM

If you are thinking about sashing the blocks, how about "triple" sashing it with you solid blue or gold on the outside and your additional print as the middle row? Just a thought...

Maggiemay 06-27-2012 03:27 PM

When I saw the 3rd fabric my first thought was that it would look good in a border because it picks up the colors of your other prints.