Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   T-Shirt Quilt - help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/t-shirt-quilt-help-t102091.html)

suebee 02-22-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Several of the shirts had the rubbery printing. I was concerned about how this would affect the quilting process. Yes, I used stabilizer behind ALL of the t-shirt squares.

Originally Posted by suebee
I love this too. I just finished up 8 T-Shirt quilts. All I can say is trying to stitch through that rubbery stuff (thats on some shirts)...forget it. My machine did not like it at all. Everytime I hit that stuff, the thread would break. I dont know if my machine was being sensative or what. I also ended up using "ball-point" needles, that helped some. I would quilt around some of the designs on the shirts and then of course the borders. Im curious if you used stabilizer on the tshirt fabric? Good luck and I cant wait to see this done. you've done a really nice job.
Sue

I used the stabilizer as well. I dont know if you would have any trouble. Machines are funny, they dont behave the same ways. Make a practice sandwich out of exact same fabrics w/ tshirt and stabilizer and try that first. But I agree, with the gal that said just quilt it via SID. This one would look great that way.

sue z q 02-22-2011 02:04 PM

No advice here; just wanted to say I think this is the prettiest one I've ever seen. (I sent my son's out to be long arm quilted.)

tutt 02-22-2011 02:11 PM

Wow, one of the nicest ones yet!

ILuvBirdhouses56 02-22-2011 02:29 PM

great quilt, what kind of stabilizer did you use?

jlm5419 02-22-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ILuvBirdhouses56
great quilt, what kind of stabilizer did you use?

It was lightweight iron-on interfacing from Joann's. It was on sale. It seemed to work great.

TeddyB1967 02-22-2011 03:44 PM

What about doing the grid from seam up to the photos but not going through any of the prints and then a meander in the borders?

Im a beginner, very new to quilting so not sure this suggestion is of any help or would even work. It is something I am thinking of doing with my Tee shirt quilt when I get it done. I just started getting mine cut out but put it away for a bit to finish a blue jean quilt that I need done before this weekend for a friend of mine whose hubby is going away for a month for stem cell transplant treatment for cancer.

boxerlady 02-22-2011 03:56 PM

I really try to avoid quilting into any design on the t-shirt. Stitch-in-the-ditch would work well. It's a very pretty top

jlm5419 02-22-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by boxerlady
I really try to avoid quilting into any design on the t-shirt. Stitch-in-the-ditch would work well. It's a very pretty top

That would be my idea as well, but most of the panels are quite large compared to a normal quilt block. This would leave large areas unsecured. The batting is poly, but the package says "up to 10" apart" on the quilting. Most of the blocks are larger than 10" square. This is why I am considering an all-over quilting such as the clamshell or diamond grid. I'd really like something fancier, but my skills may not be up to that yet.
:oops:

boxerlady 02-22-2011 04:16 PM

meander on the t-shirts, just avoid the inky, rubber designs, believe me, it can be done, it does take some planning

Lady-T 02-22-2011 04:18 PM

AWESOME quilt!!