Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   ta da! My bees quiltlet is done! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ta-da-my-bees-quiltlet-done-t124922.html)

MrsBoats 05-22-2011 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I learned a lot on this. The axeheads were fairly easy for me, but the half-axes sashing was a bigger pita than I expected. (And didn't come out square, for reasons I still don't understand.) Next time I bind, do it from back to front, not front to back. Picking black stitches out of black fabric is a nightmare, even in bright light. The quilting was easy, but horsing around a bed-size quilt will clearly take muscle-my hat is off to you folks who do it regularly! (And I'll be back to pick your brains about it at some point, too. :) ) There are some wonky spots, like where the sashing wouldn't not pucker under the binding, (thank heaven for busy patterns!) but overall, it's a good first effort. There are things I'll do differently next time around, but still, I'm pleased.

Also, my goal of making us a quilt for our bed, in this pattern, isn't an impossibility-I *do* have the skills. There have been things that I thought I wanted to learn to make, right up until I actually sat down at the sewing machine and made them; quilts aren't one of those things. All in all, I had fun doing it, and can't wait to make another one!

LeslieFrost 05-22-2011 09:43 AM

Very nice! You should be proud of your first effort, especially doing curves. Looks great.

QuiltE 05-22-2011 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nicely done! Your treadle will like it's new cover.

How about skipping the sashing another time? and just have your axeheads (apple cores, to me!! :lol:) right out to the edge. That's what I did with my runner shown below.

Apple Core Runner -- I used a very narrow binding, as I knew it would not get the wear and tear that a bed quilt would. Finished off with a simple outline quilting on both sides of the seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200621[/ATTACH]

JCquilts 05-22-2011 09:44 AM

Nice job.. I really like the look of this. Your color sense is very good. Glad you enjoyed the process. Cant wait to see what you pick for a big quilt.

MrsBoats 05-22-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Nicely done! Your treadle will like it's new cover.

How about skipping the sashing another time? and just have your axeheads (apple cores, to me!! :lol:) right out to the edge. That's what I did with my runner shown below.

Thanks! I'll definitely do that on the next one, but this one needed to be bigger than just the pieces were, and squarer. I like the look of the rippled edge though!

How big are the cores in your table runner?

eastermarie 05-22-2011 10:46 AM

The "Bees" quiltlet turned out great. The table runner looks nice with a good country mix of colors.

QuiltE 05-22-2011 04:30 PM

[quote=MrsBoats]

.... said by MrsBoats, not QuiltE
OOPS cut out too much!!

The longest measurement is about 5" and the narrow indent of the core about 3". What size were yours?

It is kind of a fun edge ... and was not hard to bind.

MrsBoats 05-23-2011 03:12 AM

[quote=QuiltE]

Originally Posted by MrsBoats

.... said by MrsBoats, not QuiltE
OOPS cut out too much!!

The longest measurement is about 5" and the narrow indent of the core about 3". What size were yours?

It is kind of a fun edge ... and was not hard to bind.

The bees are 10" long, and 4 1/2" or so wide at the narrow part. (I always understood size to be the difference between an axehead and an applecore-axeheads are considerably bigger than an applecore, although they're the same shape. I suspect it's a regional thing, although I've also seen them called Indian hatchets.)

abdconsultant 05-23-2011 03:14 AM

love the colors.

978gray 05-23-2011 03:40 AM

Very nicely done. You are much braver than I. I do not think I am up to doing curves!!!