Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Thanks for the Retro Clean tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/thanks-retro-clean-tip-t78733.html)

amma 11-25-2010 09:48 PM

Thank you for showing the before and after pics, that table cloth is beautiful :D:D:D

angelwatcher 11-25-2010 10:05 PM

I have a recipe that was given on TV years ago by a women who works with antique/vintage christening gowns and fabrics. It's called Maryon's Secret Elixir and can take the spots out of leopard without harming the fabric, so she says. I have used it on baby clothes with spit up stains and it removed them. I gave the recipe to a gal who had a quilt that had cat spray stains and it worked miracles when she used it.

Maryon’s Secret Elixir for Stains

1 Part Clorox 2 Powder

1 Part Dove Dishwashing Liquid but has been sold to Sunlight Dishwashing Liquid(Use the creamy white version only according to the rep at the company)

(example--2 tsp. each for one small item or 1/4cup each or more in a tub for a large piece like a quilt, You may need to experiment)

Mix together in the hottest water the textile can stand. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

I used a small basin to soak a baby receiving blanket that had formula stains on it and it came out clean.

Good luck in saving your textiles.

lpsewing 11-25-2010 11:24 PM

Amazing differance !!

donnajean 11-26-2010 05:18 AM

Thanks for the flashback. We had that tablecloth when I was a kid.

sherriequilts 11-26-2010 06:09 AM

Amazing the difference. and I remember my grandmother had a tablecloth like that . I think we wore it out, seem to remember a hole in it! But it was that pattern. What memories. Thank you. So glad you have this one and were able to reclaim it so fantastically.

lindagor 11-26-2010 06:37 AM

Thanks for the post. I've had some very nice linens sitting in storage because of stains. Now I've ordered this and hope it works the same miracle for me as it did for you.

BeckiQuilts 11-26-2010 07:37 AM

What a great product. I bet it would work well on stained table napkins as well. That is the one reason I don't use them more. Please let us know where to purchase this miracle product. I know my adult children will want my old linens now.

annieshane 11-26-2010 07:38 AM

OMG, such a transformation. Retro clean is awesome. I am so glad you were able to restore this treasure. You just don't find linens like this anymore.

Yankee Quilter 11-26-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I purchased it here. There are before and after letters/pictures and they look great.

http://retroclean.com/home-page.html

Thanks for this info. I have some antique crocheted doilies from Belgium. They are terribly discolored. I wonder if this product would help them??

Momma_K 11-26-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
I have a recipe that was given on TV years ago by a women who works with antique/vintage christening gowns and fabrics. It's called Maryon's Secret Elixir and can take the spots out of leopard without harming the fabric, so she says. I have used it on baby clothes with spit up stains and it removed them. I gave the recipe to a gal who had a quilt that had cat spray stains and it worked miracles when she used it.

Maryon’s Secret Elixir for Stains

1 Part Clorox 2 Powder

1 Part Dove Dishwashing Liquid but has been sold to Sunlight Dishwashing Liquid(Use the creamy white version only according to the rep at the company)

(example--2 tsp. each for one small item or 1/4cup each or more in a tub for a large piece like a quilt, You may need to experiment)

Mix together in the hottest water the textile can stand. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

I used a small basin to soak a baby receiving blanket that had formula stains on it and it came out clean.

Good luck in saving your textiles.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it! :thumbup: