Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   And they all said, "eeewww!"... are the fabrics really THAT bad? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/they-all-said-%22eeewww-%22-fabrics-really-bad-t125365.html)

Kehoeta 05-24-2011 08:27 AM

I'm with your co-workers... Nothing I would want to work with.

M.E.H. 05-24-2011 08:27 AM

I like all of them. :D

fraydknot12326 05-24-2011 08:28 AM

I like them all, too~! :D Love the pink/gray-silver combos .. would make a beautiful baby-girl quilt!

With a name like *Putting on the Ritz* they fill the bill *perfectly*~!! :thumbup:

Different strokes, different folks ... :lol:

ctub0126 05-24-2011 08:31 AM

I think sometimes people look at too big a swath of fabric. We're quilter's! Some of our pieces are less than 1" square. I think you could use all those fabrics and make a beautiful quilt (if not necessarily all together)! If you were dedicated to the baby/ nursery theme I'd probably add an appliqué or more "cute" print, but I think those fabrics are great!

DebsShelties 05-24-2011 08:33 AM

Some are ones that I may consider buying, others sorry I agree with your coworkers - eeewwwwww.

Kaz 05-24-2011 08:35 AM

Have to say I like them, don't know what exactly I would use them for but there are certainly some I would buy.

neeng 05-24-2011 08:42 AM

I like the checks, plaids and (a little less) the stripes. The ones on cream background from the first set are okay but really don't care for the others.

Antdebby1 05-24-2011 08:57 AM

Sorry, but I don't care for them.

sgardner 05-24-2011 09:00 AM

The first set would be the hardest to work with, but the rest all have their uses.

The trick with any fabric is to find a pattern that complements the color and style- a lot of those would lend itself to a fussy-cut or a stack-and-whack method, or a tessellation flower that where all the pieces were fussy-cut to have the same section on them.

They are not so bad, but they all have a theme- bland or plain, or rather, muted- you are missing the bright colors. Mix them with some yellow or eye-popping colors and you will create a contrast for the whole quilt. Again, it's all in how you use these fabrics.

If, in the end, you can't find uses for them, try Bonni hunter's scrap quilt methods- I bet most of those fabrics would produce a stunning quilt once cut up and arranged properly.

Other than the "words" prints, I can picture uses for every one of these fabrics.

sgardner 05-24-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by franie
I think they are way cool but I probably would not buy them. They don't really speak to me but I would probably drool over something someone else made with them.

And that's it EXACTLY- many times we don't like a fabric because we can't see an end project in mind. I have worked with collections that came as a set (either 5 in squares or 10 inch squares) and there are always fabrics in there the scream "ugly!" to me- but several times I have been really pleasantly shocked at how well they play together in the final project.

Not something I would have bought based on the print/coloring alone, but looks good in the end.

I think of it as an orchestra- you may not care to hear a single instrument by itself, but in a concert with all the others and the proper arrangement of music, any instrument has a place. People go to hear the combination all put together, and so it is with quilts. I am learning not to judge individual fabrics so harshly, but rather learn how they should be used for a beautiful finish that others will drool over.

Only you will know that pieces of that fabric started life as an ugly duckling. LOL :-)