Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Three Old Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/three-old-quilts-t10339.html)

Marcia 08-18-2008 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My paternal grandmother was a quilter and I have 5 quilts that she made in the 30's and early 40's. Three of them are on the beds that my granddaughters sleep in when they spend the night. They LOVE cuddling under these quilts. The bed on the left came from my maternal grandmother's house and I slept in it at as a child. The middle bed was my husband's when he was growing up. A friend found the bed on the right at a flea market for $35-all it needed was to have the dust wiped off.

I stood on the dresser to take this pic so I could get as much in the picture as possible.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15048[/ATTACH]

justme 08-18-2008 01:51 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh what treasured gifts you have. LuckY you! They are great!

MAXIES2 08-18-2008 01:53 PM

What a lovely photo, I can imagine the fun your grandchildren have when they come to stay with you. The quilts all look beautiful. and as good as the day they were made I suspect.
Katherine

Elizabeth A. 08-18-2008 01:57 PM

Those quilts are amazing, and the room looks just great made up like that! Is the butterfly quilt embroidery? They are all in great condition!

I love deals like your middle bed. I picked up a twin canopy bed for my daughter (when I was pregnant) for $50. The headboard panel was spilt and DH fixed and restained it. The family I bought it from said they bought it from the man who made it the day he finished it, and dd wanted a new bed.

After all the work DH put into it, I can't imagine her wanting a new bed, it's beautiful and when she doesn't want a canopy anymore it converts to a poster bed.

Riley 08-18-2008 01:59 PM

Oh Marcia, what a treasure you have! The quilts first off... & then the furniture.

I have been trying to get a good look at the butterfly one. It seems to have most of one wing behind, is that right? I don't think I have ever seen that particular pattern.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful treasures! FABULOUS!

Riley

Elizabeth A. 08-18-2008 02:08 PM

A close up on the butterflies would be wonderful. ;) :D Pretty please with threads on top?

Marcia 08-18-2008 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
some details

sewnsewer2 08-18-2008 02:15 PM

Very pretty quilts!

Riley 08-18-2008 02:31 PM

What a very nice thing to do, Marcia! Thank you so much for the close up!

The butterflies are buttonholed all around! I love the quilting, I can see that now, a square that surrounds. AND, the quilting on the tulips is to die for!

I am so GREEN with envy when people have a quilting family with these wonderful treasures to hold on to.
Truth is, I am happy for you---- but wish I did too! :thumbup:

THANK YOU!!!

Riley

Quilt4u 08-18-2008 02:42 PM

Wow lovely quilts. Ihad no one to hand me down a quilt. My Mom, Great aunt, and Grandmother sewed but none made quilts just me. So I hope some day my family will hand down the quilts I made for them to their families.