Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Old Quilts

My paternal grandmother was a quilter and I have 5 quilts that she made in the 30's and early 40's. Three of them are on the beds that my granddaughters sleep in when they spend the night. They LOVE cuddling under these quilts. The bed on the left came from my maternal grandmother's house and I slept in it at as a child. The middle bed was my husband's when he was growing up. A friend found the bed on the right at a flea market for $35-all it needed was to have the dust wiped off.

I stood on the dresser to take this pic so I could get as much in the picture as possible.
    Name:  Attachment-15048.jpe
Views: 475
Size:  41.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh what treasured gifts you have. LuckY you! They are great!

What a lovely photo, I can imagine the fun your grandchildren have when they come to stay with you. The quilts all look beautiful. and as good as the day they were made I suspect.
    Katherine

Those quilts are amazing, and the room looks just great made up like that! Is the butterfly quilt embroidery? They are all in great condition!

I love deals like your middle bed. I picked up a twin canopy bed for my daughter (when I was pregnant) for $50. The headboard panel was spilt and DH fixed and restained it. The family I bought it from said they bought it from the man who made it the day he finished it, and dd wanted a new bed.

After all the work DH put into it, I can't imagine her wanting a new bed, it's beautiful and when she doesn't want a canopy anymore it converts to a poster bed.

Oh Marcia, what a treasure you have! The quilts first off... & then the furniture.

I have been trying to get a good look at the butterfly one. It seems to have most of one wing behind, is that right? I don't think I have ever seen that particular pattern.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful treasures! FABULOUS!

Riley

A close up on the butterflies would be wonderful. ;) :D Pretty please with threads on top?

some details
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty quilts!

What a very nice thing to do, Marcia! Thank you so much for the close up!

The butterflies are buttonholed all around! I love the quilting, I can see that now, a square that surrounds. AND, the quilting on the tulips is to die for!

I am so GREEN with envy when people have a quilting family with these wonderful treasures to hold on to.
    Truth is, I am happy for you---- but wish I did too! :thumbup:

THANK YOU!!!

Riley

Blog Entries
    Wow lovely quilts. Ihad no one to hand me down a quilt. My Mom, Great aunt, and Grandmother sewed but none made quilts just me. So I hope some day my family will hand down the quilts I made for them to their families.

Riley-You are so very welcome. I was inspired to do this room for my grands from a photo that I saw of Lynne Hagmire's quilt retreat bedrooms. I was just fortunate to have the quilts, I am still working on all the finishing touches--right now they "get into" too much!

http://ktquilts.com/images/NewPictGet/DSCF0131.JPG

Marcia, I want to be your granddaughter!!! I LOVE those quilts and the beds!!! You and your gds are blessed with those wonderful treasures.

Oh my! "stood on the dresser"

You're a brave women using your grandmother quilts made in the 30s or 40s. I'd be afraid to let anyone touch them.

They are beautiful. It's so wonderful to have a tresure so lovely to share with your grandchildren.

Marcia, they are gorgeous!!!!! Love all three of them!! So what do the other two look like? :wink:
    I bet the girls just love that room, but you know you have to add another bed for little Sofie!

WOWSER! Can you imagine sleeping in a bedroom such as that one in the photo. Or better yet, HAVING a bed room such as that? SIGH

Marcia, yours is equally as wonderful, just not as many beds. SIGH

I guess I am just gonna to be green today. :hunf:
    SIGH

Riley...SIGH

Marcia those quilts are gorgeous, I love al three of them. What a treasure!!

Gorgeous! Each quilt is different, yet they all go together! I bed your little pals LOVE to sleep in here together!

Oh my... pretty.... thanks for sharing!

Those are such pretty quilts. Thanks for the close up pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
    Oh my! "stood on the dresser"

You're a brave women using your grandmother quilts made in the 30s or 40s. I'd be afraid to let anyone touch them.

They are beautiful. It's so wonderful to have a tresure so lovely to share with your grandchildren.
    I do not have things in my house that are just for show. If it is there, it is to be used. I love the look of the old quilts and I want my grandchildren to understand when they are older that I thought they were special enough to sleep under these quilts. My brother and I slept under quilts my grandmother made when we were growing up and I want this same memory for my grands. To me, they are special because we use them, not because we have them.

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    Marcia, they are gorgeous!!!!! Love all three of them!! So what do the other two look like? :wink:
    I bet the girls just love that room, but you know you have to add another bed for little Sofie!
    One is a double wedding ring. It has a lot of purples and greens in it. It is in great shape, too, I just do not have a bed to put it on. The last one is a little dutch boy (the male equivalent to Sunbonnet Sue). It is NOT in good shape. It was my brother's when he was growing up and it was used a lot. Some of the border fabric is non-existant now!!! I used to have a coordinating Sunbonnet Sue for my bed, but it was stolen by our movers in one of our moves (unfortunately, not an uncommon practice). It was my favorite quilt of all and I do not even have a picture of it. :cry:

I have no idea where we are going to put Miss Sofie when she outgrows the crib--I better start thinking about that now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony
    Gorgeous! Each quilt is different, yet they all go together! I bed your little pals LOVE to sleep in here together!
    Harmony-my grandmother must have gotten a swinging deal on the yellow fabric. It is in all three of the quilts. The tulip and the butterfly quilt are both backed in the yellow. And all three of them have the same border-it is alternating yellow and muslin wedges and the binding is the yellow fabric. I think all that yellow is what makes them all go together.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley
    WOWSER! Can you imagine sleeping in a bedroom such as that one in the photo. Or better yet, HAVING a bed room such as that? SIGH

Marcia, yours is equally as wonderful, just not as many beds. SIGH

I guess I am just gonna to be green today. :hunf:
    SIGH

Riley...SIGH
    Oh, Riley, don't sigh...you can come visit and I will let you sleep under a quilt too. :D

You Can always let us come and snuggle under those quilts and have a quilt-over!!!
    It is a lovely picture of a very lovely room...
    Very beautiful..
    Thanks for sharing.
    K

Oh marcia, they are gorgeous, and yes, i noticed that they all have matching borders! Marcia, i love that you want your grandkids to know that they were special enough to sleep under those quilts :) :) :)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast