Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Old Quilts

Those are so nice I like them all but the butterflies there is just something about that one and I can't put my finger on it. Oh well, lucky you, and the grandkids LUCKY FOR THEM> Thanks for sharing those are all very nice.

oh Marcia, I hope your grandmother knows how much you love her quilts. And I think it's wonderful that you have those beds too, what a special room! I'll bet you can close your eyes and recall wonderful memories in there. My quilting grandma died when I was only 8 and she was sick for a long time but I remember a lot about her and have a couple of her quilts on display at my house. My mother has one of her grandmother's quilts but it's in very bad shape. Hopefully you'll be able to pass those on to your little girls when they grow up.

Your room for your granddaughters is so nice. And the quilts - WOW, what a treasure!!! I have a bunk room for my grandsons, but they are getting to the point where they need to be down low. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ohhhh, so pretty. That is really neat. I love to hear things like that.

What a darling room!!!! It is so bright and cheerful!! You have very very lucky grandkids to be able to snuggle down under one of those quilts!!! I bet your grandkids just LOVE coming to your house for a sleepover!

Banned
    Oh neat. Such a treasure you have there. They all look in good shape and look great on the beds too. Thanks for sharing your pretties

Marcia, when I saw that first picture in this subject, I said to myself "This is taken from Snow White's movie when she arrived in the little men's room!!!"

What treasures you have! You lucky you!!!

What a treasure for you and your grandchildren!!

They are just so beautiful.

What a comforting, warm bedroom you have made for your grandchildren!!

You are one special gram.

What an absolutely gorgeous room- I'd love to take a nap there. I bet you LOVE when the girls come to spend the night. I'm looking forward to those days!

Barb

What treasures you have!! I love each one!

Susan

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Those quilts are truly stunning - the work is amazing and to still be in good enough shape to still use them...! Wow! You're family is truly blessed to have them!

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    OH! And they all three have scalloped edges! :-o Gorgeous!

Thanks for the eye candy! What beautiful work your grandmother did! I'm sure she would be very happy that her own granddaughter is a quilter and cherishes her creations.

When I fisrt saw that bedroom I gasped. It is so lovely.
    It brings back memories of when I would visit my grandma.
    She had a special room for gradchildren, with quilts on the beds.
    you are making wonderful memories for future generations.

What lucky grandchildren, Marcia. They will remember sleeping under those quilts forever (and may inspire them to carry on the family trandition). My children are all grown, too, but they remember going to their grandmother's house. One of the beds there had Peter Rabbit sheets bought especially for them and there was always much discussion about who would get to sleep in the "Peter Rabbit Bed".

Marcia, I have my bags packed for at least 3 days, so I can sleep under each one! And thank you for inviting me. Course, I have to get these 2 batches of company out of my way first.... :mrgreen:

In the meanwhile, while I am waiting for the guest load to be past, could I ask you what size blocks each butterfly flies on? That one just tugs at my heart!!
    They must not be overly big since there are many butterflies on there. ...6 to 7 inches maybe. Wonder if she cut that pattern outof a KC Star Newspaper?
    There is something very special abt that one.

Just LOVELY! SIGH (Had to add that !! :) ) Riley

So beautiful. I am sure the girls love sleeping under them.

Kyia

Thank you everyone for all your sweet comments. I am so glad you enjoyed looking at the quilts!! It was my pleasure to share them with you.

Riley-I am glad you like the butterflies. The blocks measure 7 3/4" square. They may have been 8" squares before they were quilted and washed. The butterfly is approximately 5 1/4" tall and 5" wide. There are 8 butterflies in each row and 9 rows. I am attaching a few close ups for you to see more detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Marcia, your room is lovely and the quilts are fabulous! I wish my GM had quilted, but well, I guess I'm lucky that my GF's 2nd wife does quilt! She has given me 2 quilts and now she makes tons of them for Project Linus which is her passion.

Your GM was/is very talented and it must run in the family!!

DROOL DROOL DROOL SLOBBER SLOBBER..... :mrgreen:

That black one is stunning! I wonder if Gran had a dress out of that or perhaps a blouse? (SIGH!! :wink: )

I enlarged the quilt itself so I could look at the fabrics (they fascinate me also, maybe because I probably had some dresses out of some of the same?) I did note that whatever color she buttonholed around the bodies, she also did one set of antennae in also, along with the body in that color.

I hope you do not mind---I did print a couple of the px, along with the whole quilt. I have a folder of quilts that dearly appeal to me that I admire & look at from time to time. I did also add your notations as to size, etc.--just because I love these butterflies!

Thank you Marcia, you are most kind to share with us, especially me!

Riley

Oh thank you for letting me see those butterflies up close they are hand done, that is amazing work. I thought perhaps they were a whole cloth but no they are clearly blocks, WOWSER, and the flowers look even better close up.

My mom has the quilts that my grandmother felt I was special enough to sleep under. I now know them to be Dresden Plate, and a Double Wedding Ring. They are very loved, and like you say the biding fabric is loved nearly completely off. But you know I still remember the smell of them and the feel of them as she would spread them out over me. Okay now I'm crying.

You are a very special person and your granddaughters are very lucky. Where are you again? Perhaps I need to pack my bags for a visit too.

Riley-I do not mind at all that you printed out the pics. In fact, I am flattered. I wish we were closer and you could see the quilt in person (perhaps even have a chance to sleep under it.)

Elizabeth-I am not too far from you--just the next state over. If you ever find your self on I-75 headed to Atlanta, let me know--I am an hour south and about 2 miles off the interstate. It would be fun to meet.

You are both so sweet--thanks for all the sweet things you have said about the quilt. I know my grandmother must be very pleased.

Marcia!! You stood on the dresser? :shock: Well, hence forth I dub thee Marcia aka Quilting Cat Woman :D

Your room is absolutely lovely!! How special for your grandbabies!! Your gramma was quite the craftswoman!! Its awesome how well her quilts have withstood the test of time. Thanks so much for sharing them with us, such beauties!! I agree with Riley, the butterflies are absolutely beautiful, but they're all so pretty I could never pick a favorite!

Wouldn't it be fun to investigate all that yellow fabric! I bet there's quite the story about how all that came to be in her possession! Just fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilts and room!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast