Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Twister (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/twister-t50578.html)

amma 06-25-2010 06:16 PM

I love it!!! Such pretty fabrics :D:D:D
This is on my to do list :D

2ursula 09-15-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson

Originally Posted by Anna O
Is the Lil' Twister and the Twister ruler the same angle for placing on the sewn seam? I was wondering if you could use the Lil' Twister for lining up and just cut bigger. That way you could use any size square to start with.

I was playing around with exactly that idea today. After finishing the little twister table topper, I did some math and used 3.5 in square little twister template (6 in. charms) and figured a minimum 6.5 in square for the big twister (10 in cake layers).

Then, when I actually drew out the "sewn together" squares of 9.5 inches ---- placed the little twister template on top of 6.5 in square acrylic ruler I have on hand. Tracing that on paper, there is leftover fabric so I think the large twister could be 7.5 in square.

Any suggestions welcome :-)

-----

After making my first twister from scratch using template paper, I have now found a better method. Here is what I do:

The ratio of the long portion of each ruler edge and the short side of the ruler edge is (6.5 - 1.4625'') to 1.4625''.

I have increased the short portion to 1.5'' for a 6.5'' ruler. It does not matter.

Then I took a strip of ordinary clear tape und pasted it to my cutting mat. I drew a thick black centerline from one end to the other through the middle of the about 10'' long tape. I covered that line by pasting a second piece of tape right over it. That prevents smearing. I made two of those tapes.

Finally, I took the marked tapes off the cutting board and taped them across the 6.5'' ruler ruler from 1.5'' mark to the opposite 1.5'' mark.

It's a great tool.
I made it in less than 5 minutes.
It did not cost anything and almost looks like a bought it (except for the slight shading by the clear tape.

I thought you might like to save some money and buy some fabric instead. The Hancock Paducah catalogue looks so tempting...

kay carlson 09-16-2010 06:51 AM

2ursula, thanks for the terrific tool adaptation :-)

rootyr 09-16-2010 11:09 AM

Very nice!

watterstide 10-13-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson

Originally Posted by Anna O
Is the Lil' Twister and the Twister ruler the same angle for placing on the sewn seam? I was wondering if you could use the Lil' Twister for lining up and just cut bigger. That way you could use any size square to start with.

I was playing around with exactly that idea today. After finishing the little twister table topper, I did some math and used 3.5 in square little twister template (6 in. charms) and figured a minimum 6.5 in square for the big twister (10 in cake layers).

Then, when I actually drew out the "sewn together" squares of 9.5 inches ---- placed the little twister template on top of 6.5 in square acrylic ruler I have on hand. Tracing that on paper, there is leftover fabric so I think the large twister could be 7.5 in square.

Any suggestions welcome :-)

try it again, with 8 inch ruler..

8-)

finch 10-13-2010 04:15 PM

They were selling these at the quilt show in Jax. A friend of mine bought one. It looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Tonisews 03-03-2011 05:00 AM

I was at a quilt show this past Saturday... From what I was shown.... The twister templates are the same size as the squares...10" layer cake has a 10" template to cut the pinwheels... I am quite sure of this... I am having my husband help me cut my own sizes of acrylic. He helped me cut the forms for bigger Fun and Done's to match pre-printed panel fabrics, and such... I need fast 'start to finish' techniques...So much fabric, i.e. on hand...

Please anyone with instructions to share I'd appreciate it. On the Twister Tool. I live where there are no books or tools at the store to look at on it. I didn't see anything but tools and closed tool packages. The demos to watch were great...but, no note taking by me....just a fading memory . . . hahahaha

grammyto2 03-03-2011 05:04 AM

great job, this is on my to do list.

Connie in CO 03-03-2011 05:16 AM

Twister is fun to do,i have them all over the house.Connie in CO

Tonisews 03-03-2011 05:24 AM

Thank You...I think you replied to my question.