Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   UFO sightings... Got Three Finished! (Pics on page 2) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ufo-sightings-got-three-finished-pics-page-2-a-t11649.html)

justquiltin' 09-26-2008 02:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so several of us have signed-up for the UFO challenge. How about we post some "before" pics with a little history/intent behind the quilt.

Here are a set of three (will be four soon) that I must complete before Oct. 18 for a baby shower that I am throwing.

I am making a doll quilt for each of the sisters of the baby that's coming, but I have only one top finished. When I complete the other, I'll post it, too.

This is the top of the baby quilt I must finish...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18920[/ATTACH]

This is a doll quilt for one of the big sisters of the coming baby.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18921[/ATTACH]

This quilt will be used for people to sign at the shower. I have fineline Sharpies to use for the signing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18922[/ATTACH]

justquiltin' 09-26-2008 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the other UFO I have. It's actually two. It started life as a quilt for our older daughter when we thought we'd put her in a twin bed and skip the toddler bed altogether. We decided, however, to put her in a toddler bed and go a different direction with the girls' room.
SO, it ended up being TWO lap quilts -- one for each grandmother for Christmas. Should I use wool or cotton batting? If I use wool, what shoud I know about usng wool?

I hope they like them!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18918[/ATTACH]

Quilt4u 09-26-2008 03:10 PM

Very nice. A lot to get done. Hope you make it.

Moonpi 09-26-2008 04:01 PM

Love the rosebuds. I've never used wool batting, can't help you there.

beachlady 09-26-2008 04:09 PM

Great quilts. I have only used cotton batting. Would wool shrink?

justquiltin' 09-26-2008 06:06 PM

Would wool shrink?
Beachlady, that's exactly what I want to know. Should I wash and dry it before I quilt it? Or is wool batting pretty stable? And, where would I find it? I know it's out there... Is it worth the trouble? And is it really that much warmer?
Thanks, Moonpi. I fell in love with the rosebuds at quilterscache.com.

mgshaw 09-26-2008 07:18 PM

Very cute quilts, great job!!!

Marcia 09-26-2008 07:30 PM

I really like all your UFOs and I think making doll quilts for the sisters of the baby is such a darling idea.

I have never used wool batting, but I do not think it is any warmer than cotton batting. Some hand quilters prefer wool because natural oil in the wool and they say it needles better.

hannahsmom 09-27-2008 12:25 AM

I don't know if anyone else has told u this but you may NOT want to use sharpies on the quilt if you are EVER going to wash it. I received onsies (from my babyshower) that has drawings on them and when I washed them they bled and faded. So what was beautiful turned into an ugly muddy mess. I would say use perm cloth markers. Just a lil lesson learned here.. :) Your quilts look great!!

Knot Sew 09-27-2008 03:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the quilt I am working on, its from two years ago....I am hand quilting it :D