Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UFO sightings... Got Three Finished! (Pics on page 2)

OK, so several of us have signed-up for the UFO challenge. How about we post some "before" pics with a little history/intent behind the quilt.

Here are a set of three (will be four soon) that I must complete before Oct. 18 for a baby shower that I am throwing.

I am making a doll quilt for each of the sisters of the baby that's coming, but I have only one top finished. When I complete the other, I'll post it, too.

This is the top of the baby quilt I must finish...
    Name:  Attachment-18920.jpe
Views: 104
Size:  47.7 KB

This is a doll quilt for one of the big sisters of the coming baby.
    Name:  Attachment-18921.jpe
Views: 75
Size:  38.0 KB

This quilt will be used for people to sign at the shower. I have fineline Sharpies to use for the signing.
    Name:  Attachment-18922.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  42.2 KB

This is the other UFO I have. It's actually two. It started life as a quilt for our older daughter when we thought we'd put her in a twin bed and skip the toddler bed altogether. We decided, however, to put her in a toddler bed and go a different direction with the girls' room.
    SO, it ended up being TWO lap quilts -- one for each grandmother for Christmas. Should I use wool or cotton batting? If I use wool, what shoud I know about usng wool?

I hope they like them!
    Name:  Attachment-18918.jpe
Views: 67
Size:  47.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Very nice. A lot to get done. Hope you make it.

Love the rosebuds. I've never used wool batting, can't help you there.

Great quilts. I have only used cotton batting. Would wool shrink?

Would wool shrink?
    Beachlady, that's exactly what I want to know. Should I wash and dry it before I quilt it? Or is wool batting pretty stable? And, where would I find it? I know it's out there... Is it worth the trouble? And is it really that much warmer?
    Thanks, Moonpi. I fell in love with the rosebuds at quilterscache.com.

Very cute quilts, great job!!!

I really like all your UFOs and I think making doll quilts for the sisters of the baby is such a darling idea.

I have never used wool batting, but I do not think it is any warmer than cotton batting. Some hand quilters prefer wool because natural oil in the wool and they say it needles better.

where the navy sends us, for now its Lansing MI
    I don't know if anyone else has told u this but you may NOT want to use sharpies on the quilt if you are EVER going to wash it. I received onsies (from my babyshower) that has drawings on them and when I washed them they bled and faded. So what was beautiful turned into an ugly muddy mess. I would say use perm cloth markers. Just a lil lesson learned here.. :) Your quilts look great!!

This is the quilt I am working on, its from two years ago....I am hand quilting it :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Those are GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by hannahsmom
    I don't know if anyone else has told u this but you may NOT want to use sharpies on the quilt if you are EVER going to wash it. I received onsies (from my babyshower) that has drawings on them and when I washed them they bled and faded. So what was beautiful turned into an ugly muddy mess. I would say use perm cloth markers. Just a lil lesson learned here.. :) Your quilts look great!!
    i would just like to add from the historical perspective, you will want to avoid using any kind of marker that is not acid free. otherwise the acid in the ink will eventually eat a hole in the fabric. it may be 50 years down the road, but don't we want our heirlooms to last longer than that??

lovely quilts, i love the doll quilt.

I haven't been able to find any cloth markers in the stores, where is a good place online to purchase?

Ruth, that is a beautiful top! It will be fabulous hand-quilted. I love the color choices. So bold... One day I'll shed my garment construction induced chicken-ness and use real colors in my quilts, too! :wink:
    Thatnks, hannasmom and nanabirdmo! I never thought about acid free or bleeding. I figured "permanent" meant permanent, and I never even considered it eating a hole in the fabric! Yikes! :shock:
    Mgrs, I'm with you -- where do I buy a cloth marker? I'm going to Hobby Lobby later today, so maybe they'll have them.
    Anyone else want to post pics of your UFOs? We'd love to see them...

mg - I would think you found the pens at Hobby Lobby. I have found them at Jo's and Michael's - even at Wal-Mart.

Love the quilts - I usually take a gift to a shower when there are older children too - but 3 baby doll quilts - you are most generous.

Ruth - love your quilt - can hardly wait to see it finished.

Just got back from Hobby Lobby, and they had the markers. They were in the section with the puff paints (remember the 80's, anyone?) Even Crayola makes them! And they even had some fabric crayons. Who knew?
    Rein, it's only two doll quilts, and they aren't very big. I just happened to have enough scraps from the two larger quilts to make the doll quilts. So, nicely, all four of the quilts will match! :D

You are tugging hard at my resolve. I really want to show mine when it is completed.

The ones I have seen are very pretty.

Anne

Okay, here are a few items that I believe I will be able to get finished. I need to decide what type of border to put on the purple wall hanging. I then need to finish cutting out the pieces for the Green Bay Packers quilt for my dd, promised to finish it by super bowl. The three baby quilts I hope to try machine quilting on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I tried Wal_mart - no go. No Hobby Lobby so I guess I will try Micheal's. I did find a marker that said it will work on fabric and I did a wash and dry test with no problems, but I'll have to check the acid free part.

andie quilts, I LOVE that purple one!
    mgrhs, sorry this has been a difficult find for you... https://www.uchida.com/eUchida/so/so...aspx?Cat0id=FM
    This is the website listed on the package I bought at HL.

thanks for the website, I just placed an order.

Blog Entries
    Ok..so when I was cleaning up my room last night..I found these UFO's. I'm gonna HAVE to finish them even tho' I'm certainly not pleased with either project at the moment. This challenge may make me just "do it" anyway :oops:

Very ugly blocks that came in a kit in an ebay win that I thought I should put together in a bored moment.
    Name:  Attachment-10575.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  76.7 KB

My 1st venture into "stand alone" applique...not happy with it
    Name:  Attachment-10748.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  50.3 KB

You are certainly getting a lot out of the back of the closet, so to speak. Now don't push yourselves too hard. My sis will love seeing the purple one, and OH MY that cat is WONDERFUL! I can picture it with a nice colorful background (maybe a fireplace) and whiskers.......

Anne

So, I got three of my UFO's finished!
    The first one is the signature quilt for the baby shower. That's my older daughter Elizabeth holding it.
    The other two are doll quilts -- one for each of the big sisters.

I also stippled this one.
    Name:  Attachment-2995.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  31.9 KB

I stipple quilted this one...
    Name:  Attachment-4598.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  32.0 KB

I quilted this one in the ditch to make signing easier
    Name:  Attachment-6922.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  27.9 KB