Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
UFO sightings... Got Three Finished! (Pics on page 2) >

UFO sightings... Got Three Finished! (Pics on page 2)

UFO sightings... Got Three Finished! (Pics on page 2)

Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Banned

Those are GREAT!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by hannahsmom
I don't know if anyone else has told u this but you may NOT want to use sharpies on the quilt if you are EVER going to wash it. I received onsies (from my babyshower) that has drawings on them and when I washed them they bled and faded. So what was beautiful turned into an ugly muddy mess. I would say use perm cloth markers. Just a lil lesson learned here.. :) Your quilts look great!!
i would just like to add from the historical perspective, you will want to avoid using any kind of marker that is not acid free. otherwise the acid in the ink will eventually eat a hole in the fabric. it may be 50 years down the road, but don't we want our heirlooms to last longer than that??

lovely quilts, i love the doll quilt.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 AM

I haven't been able to find any cloth markers in the stores, where is a good place online to purchase?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 AM

Ruth, that is a beautiful top! It will be fabulous hand-quilted. I love the color choices. So bold... One day I'll shed my garment construction induced chicken-ness and use real colors in my quilts, too! :wink:
Thatnks, hannasmom and nanabirdmo! I never thought about acid free or bleeding. I figured "permanent" meant permanent, and I never even considered it eating a hole in the fabric! Yikes! :shock:
Mgrs, I'm with you -- where do I buy a cloth marker? I'm going to Hobby Lobby later today, so maybe they'll have them.
Anyone else want to post pics of your UFOs? We'd love to see them...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 AM

mg - I would think you found the pens at Hobby Lobby. I have found them at Jo's and Michael's - even at Wal-Mart.

Love the quilts - I usually take a gift to a shower when there are older children too - but 3 baby doll quilts - you are most generous.

Ruth - love your quilt - can hardly wait to see it finished.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Just got back from Hobby Lobby, and they had the markers. They were in the section with the puff paints (remember the 80's, anyone?) Even Crayola makes them! And they even had some fabric crayons. Who knew?
Rein, it's only two doll quilts, and they aren't very big. I just happened to have enough scraps from the two larger quilts to make the doll quilts. So, nicely, all four of the quilts will match! :D
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

You are tugging hard at my resolve. I really want to show mine when it is completed.

The ones I have seen are very pretty.

Anne
Old 09-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Okay, here are a few items that I believe I will be able to get finished. I need to decide what type of border to put on the purple wall hanging. I then need to finish cutting out the pieces for the Green Bay Packers quilt for my dd, promised to finish it by super bowl. The three baby quilts I hope to try machine quilting on.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39428.jpe   attachment-50481.jpe   attachment-50496.jpe  
Old 09-27-2008, 04:19 PM

I tried Wal_mart - no go. No Hobby Lobby so I guess I will try Micheal's. I did find a marker that said it will work on fabric and I did a wash and dry test with no problems, but I'll have to check the acid free part.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM

andie quilts, I LOVE that purple one!
mgrhs, sorry this has been a difficult find for you... https://www.uchida.com/eUchida/so/so...aspx?Cat0id=FM
This is the website listed on the package I bought at HL.