Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   We saved an old quilt that was going to be thrown away (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/we-saved-old-quilt-going-thrown-away-t128291.html)

ube quilting 06-07-2011 02:09 PM

Wonderful. I love that it was saved. Feels great, doesn't it!
How did you attach it to the LAM. I have a finished quilt that needs re-quilting and any tips would be helpful.
peace :D

Sheila Elaine 06-07-2011 02:31 PM

Question, you mentioned that it was hand tied. Did you remove the ties before you put it on the long arm, or maybe take it out as you went. I can't tell from the pictures. Just wondering.

hperttula123 06-07-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Wonderful. I love that it was saved. Feels great, doesn't it!
How did you attach it to the LAM. I have a finished quilt that needs re-quilting and any tips would be helpful.

I stitched fabric along the two side to put on the frame. I loaded it on the frame like I would load the back of a quilt. I had all the ties cut out of it before it was loaded too. :) And just quilted it. It was puckering alot because the batting was falling apart inside so I just did what I could.
I do plan on doing it again, but I am taking the quilt apart and giving it new batting and a back(this one is one of mine and my kids use it ALL the time).

hperttula123 06-07-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
Question, you mentioned that it was hand tied. Did you remove the ties before you put it on the long arm, or maybe take it out as you went. I can't tell from the pictures. Just wondering.

Yes, I took them all out before it was loaded on the frame. It straightened that quilt right out. I so wish I would have taken before pictures of it to show you guys how bad of shape this quilt was in.

brendadawg 06-08-2011 08:57 AM

What a treasure saved --quite a rescue!

QuiltnLady1 06-08-2011 09:33 AM

Great Job!! I have some old, tied baby quilts where the batting is glumped together and this gives me inspiration to take them apart, put in new batting and quilt them!!

It is great that you were able to save something with all the memories.

Jammin' Jane 06-08-2011 10:37 AM

WOW! You did a nice job with it!
It looks great!

hperttula123 06-08-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Great Job!! I have some old, tied baby quilts where the batting is glumped together and this gives me inspiration to take them apart, put in new batting and quilt them!!

It is great that you were able to save something with all the memories.

I think you should do it. :) It will make the quilts last so much longer.

ube quilting 06-11-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by hperttula123
My friend came with a quilt that her boyfriends family was going to throw away(they actually had it in a bag by the curb and they brought it here). I've never put a whole quilt on the longarm frame before and I had my doubts on how well it would work. The quilt was hand tied and done a very long time ago. They wanted to keep the quilt in tact as much as possible. So here it is after it has been quilted, washed, and hung out to dry. It looks so much better than when I first seen it. I wish I would have taken a picture of the before.

Thanks for the tip on loading the quilt . I will give it a try. I notice you are in Wisconsin. I was born in Fon du lac. Visited Huricon Marsh when 4/5 yrs old for cat fishing and watching the thousands of geese in the fall. I remember cows alot! Some day I will return to this beautiful place!