Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Went To Estate Sale Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/went-estate-sale-today-t270339.html)

Jazzmyn 09-24-2015 01:12 PM

I agree with Daylesewblessed......."hope"..........."Cedar" chest, from the open picture it looks like it is cedar lined. I have Not seen a cedar chest that had a covered top like that one but the top may be damaged is why they covered it with fabric. If indeed it is a ceder lined chest you may not want to store fabric in it as the cedar will give the fabric an odor (the cedar odor will wash out).

Do Love the fabric you chose to put on top.

granny64 09-25-2015 03:31 AM

Could be a blanket chest.

Yooper32 09-25-2015 04:41 AM

Perfect little chest for sewing goodies, like fat quarters, or thread cones, or ???

coopah 09-25-2015 04:46 AM

I, too, think it's a cedar chest (hope chest). I have one a bit bigger that had a cushion on top...purchased in the early 70's when it was the 'thing' to have.

Just Jan 09-25-2015 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 7326811)
It looks like a "hope" chest to me -- a place to store things made for a household start in the future. My hope chest in the 1960's was a primitive trunk that my grandmother brought from Germany in 1904. It was a slightly larger size, but didn't have the fancy hardware.

I agree that its definitely a Cedar Chest and quite possibly a Hope Chest as well. When I first saw it I immediately thought the wood trim and brass handles remind me of something from a church. Whatever it is, its a super find! As for the smell of Cedar, yes it will wash out or air out, and was used to keep wool items, from getting moth eaten. I have seen entire bedroom suites made of cedar. I'd sure give it a home!

rjwilder 09-25-2015 06:53 AM

Powell Company was founded in 1968 and currently it makes all kinds of furniture, and accessories including storage boxes that are sold on Wayfair.com. I think your little box could have been a storage ottoman.

annette1952 09-25-2015 07:07 AM

Such a cute chest. Multi functional I think it is great. It is funny some of you mentioned a hope chest. My 17 year old GD was here the other night & we were embroidering Mickey & Minnie on some hand towels. I gave them to her & told her to put them in her "hope chest" She said "what is a hope chest" lol I guess I wasn't thinking that kids now don't use them. I loved mine when I was young. I had lots of neat stuff in it.

shasta5718 09-25-2015 07:26 AM

Looks like one of the old storage foot stools from the 50's or 60's. Will be a great sewing storage item. Would love it for handwork as you can put up your feet and relax while sewing.

IBQUILTIN 09-25-2015 10:42 AM

I was thinking hope chest too, but it is rather small for that. Is it tall enough to have been a piano bench with music storage inside?

rosiewell 09-25-2015 10:51 AM

what a great find, it looks in pretty good conditions too, very pretty with the new fabric.