Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-am-i-doing-wrong-t107508.html)

seasaw2mch 03-15-2011 07:22 PM

I think I see what you are referring to. Is it the width of the stitching away from the seam? If that is what you are referring to I have a lot of problems with that to but I have learned that when you turn the corner, leaving the needle down, before you begin to sew again, check to see that the spacing is correct. If it is not then I just back out of the last stitch or add one, which ever is needed and then continue on. For the most part this works but you may want to practice on a scrap block to be sure it works for you.

wildyard 03-15-2011 07:41 PM

The other problem I have, as I do the same outline quilting that you do, is how to make my back-stitches look nice. They always stand out on the backing.

Momsmurf 03-15-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the dreaded extra stitch. i know it well. :lol:

the good news is that nobody will ever notice or worry about it but you.

the better news is that if it's only one stitch too many, and you notice it before you start stitching the next section of your line, it's fairly easy to fix.

slow down as you approach the pivot point. if necessary, do one stitch at a time for the last quarter inch or so. if your machine doesn't have a reliable needle up/down button, do it manually by turning the wheel in the proper direction.

make sure to stop stitching with the needle down.

life the presser foot, pivot the fabric, put the foot back down.

if you realize you are one stitch too far, manually back the needle up out of the sandwich to undo the extra stitch. carefully reposition the quilt. manually lower the needle so that it goes down in the correct spot. manually turn the wheel to bring the needle all the way down and then back up to complete that stitch.

proceed.

Yes, Just as PatriceJ said....but if you want it exact...measure and mark the piviot point where your needle must end and remain while you turn your work. You can use one of those blue water erase markers if your fabric is light.
Been there...that's my additon to PatriceJ's direction.

mmonohon 03-15-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Many yrs ago in home ec,with very basic machines, we were taught this very method.Come almost to corner,do last couple stitches using the handwheel,leave needle down,turn fabric & proceed.

I will give this a try.

Cuddly Quilter 03-15-2011 11:12 PM

Cannot help with your problem, but wanted to say what stunning fabrics you used and your design is beautiful. Good luck with practising to solve your problem.

patricej 03-16-2011 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
The other problem I have, as I do the same outline quilting that you do, is how to make my back-stitches look nice. They always stand out on the backing.

i've just about given up on that one. :lol:

unless it's for a paying customer, or for a super-dooper-extra-special gift i don't worry about it.

when it matters, i don't try to backstitch. i leave nice long tails of thread. i pull the front thread to the back and then use a needle to pull both under the back fabric and through the batting.

wildyard 03-16-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

i've just about given up on that one. :lol:

unless it's for a paying customer, or for a super-dooper-extra-special gift i don't worry about it.

when it matters, i don't try to backstitch. i leave nice long tails of thread. i pull the front thread to the back and then use a needle to pull both under the back fabric and through the batting.

Thanks for that hint, don't guess I'll be having to worry about it at all then!! LOL

ladydi64 03-16-2011 06:29 AM

Hope this board can help, but I had a hard time seeing the problem, maybe your being too critical of your work. Believe me know one except yourself will ever see it.

Gabrielle's Mimi 03-16-2011 08:13 AM

I don't do back-stitching for the same reason. I just turn my stitch length down to tiny stitches and start and end like that.

Marvel 03-16-2011 09:18 AM

Honestly it looks great to me. I would be happy if mine turned out that good. Very pretty.