Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What To Do With Off-Set 'Hello Kitty' Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-do-off-set-hello-kitty-fabric-t170053.html)

Ps 150 11-27-2011 03:38 PM

What To Do With Off-Set 'Hello Kitty' Fabric?

1 Attachment(s)
Last year, after the Christmas holiday, my daughter fell in love with some of this "Hello Kitty" fabric at Joann's. It was on clearance in the red-tag section because the squares are not entirely straight. Because they're not straight, it's hard to decide what to do with it. My DD is 7 and would love for me to do something with this fabric for her but I just don't know what to use it for. Any thoughts?

(This photo was a google pic since I haven't had time to sort through my tote of fabric to find this for a picture. The squares in here are somewhat straight but in my fabric, it's off kilter quite a bit.)

marymm 11-27-2011 03:58 PM

Maybe you can try washing it and then blocking it.... (trying to straighten it while it's wet.) However, I have a feeling your DD would be just thrilled if you use it like a panel, adding a couple of borders and binding it. You might consider adding her name to one of the borders. ... She probably wouldn't mind the fact that the fabric isn't entirely straight.

Selena 11-27-2011 04:18 PM

What about cutting blocks and letting them look wonky? They would actually be square for piecing but not look it. Wonky quilts are cute and whimsical. A child would love that.

valleyquiltermo 11-27-2011 04:24 PM

Yep I would cut the 9 patch into a block and add borders to each and then sew them together into a top add borders and you'll have a nice wonky quilt she will love.

QandE2010 11-27-2011 04:30 PM

No matter what you do with it, she will love it. Just make the "wonky shape" look like you did that intentionally. Be sure to post pictures when you're finished.

leatheflea 11-27-2011 04:33 PM

Make a wonky block! Google wonky quilt block, wonky quilt pattern. Modabakeshop.com has a few wonky tutorials.

Good luck! The fabric is adorable, if nothing else just leave it as is and add some borders.

Material Witness 11-27-2011 06:43 PM

You could cut a square (diamond) set on point, that wouild cut through the squares diagonally and the wonkiness wouldnt show.

cathyvv 11-27-2011 07:02 PM

Just do what you think will work best. I do like the idea of taking advantage of its' wonkiness to make a unique quilt. She will love it no matter what - guaranteed!

Ps 150 11-28-2011 06:13 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'll google wonky quilts and see what comes up! Thanks!

QuiltnNan 11-28-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Selena (Post 4726706)
What about cutting blocks and letting them look wonky? They would actually be square for piecing but not look it. Wonky quilts are cute and whimsical. A child would love that.

this is a great idea.