Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What To Do With Off-Set 'Hello Kitty' Fabric?

What To Do With Off-Set 'Hello Kitty' Fabric?

Last year, after the Christmas holiday, my daughter fell in love with some of this "Hello Kitty" fabric at Joann's. It was on clearance in the red-tag section because the squares are not entirely straight. Because they're not straight, it's hard to decide what to do with it. My DD is 7 and would love for me to do something with this fabric for her but I just don't know what to use it for. Any thoughts?

(This photo was a google pic since I haven't had time to sort through my tote of fabric to find this for a picture. The squares in here are somewhat straight but in my fabric, it's off kilter quite a bit.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Maybe you can try washing it and then blocking it.... (trying to straighten it while it's wet.) However, I have a feeling your DD would be just thrilled if you use it like a panel, adding a couple of borders and binding it. You might consider adding her name to one of the borders. ... She probably wouldn't mind the fact that the fabric isn't entirely straight.

What about cutting blocks and letting them look wonky? They would actually be square for piecing but not look it. Wonky quilts are cute and whimsical. A child would love that.
    Quilt-Dancer

"​Never the less....."
    (Katherine Hepburn in The African Queen)

Yep I would cut the 9 patch into a block and add borders to each and then sew them together into a top add borders and you'll have a nice wonky quilt she will love.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

No matter what you do with it, she will love it. Just make the "wonky shape" look like you did that intentionally. Be sure to post pictures when you're finished.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Make a wonky block! Google wonky quilt block, wonky quilt pattern. Modabakeshop.com has a few wonky tutorials.

Good luck! The fabric is adorable, if nothing else just leave it as is and add some borders.

You could cut a square (diamond) set on point, that wouild cut through the squares diagonally and the wonkiness wouldnt show.

Just do what you think will work best. I do like the idea of taking advantage of its' wonkiness to make a unique quilt. She will love it no matter what - guaranteed!

Thanks for all the input. I'll google wonky quilts and see what comes up! Thanks!
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    What about cutting blocks and letting them look wonky? They would actually be square for piecing but not look it. Wonky quilts are cute and whimsical. A child would love that.
    this is a great idea.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Thanks for all the ideas! I think I'm going to make the Wonky quilt, though I don't know if it will get done in time for Christmas. :/ I did use a little bit of it, though, to make my daughter's cat a stocking. I used some fusible fleece to pad the stocking, lined it with some red, used a gross-grain red with white stitching ribbon to hold it and hand stitched/glued some wired chenille to the upper edge. She loves it and now we have a place to house her kitten's Christmas treats.

Thanks so much for the Wonky Quilt suggestion. I set about cutting the fabric up last night. It might not get done until next Christmas but I've got it started!