Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   what would you charge a client for this... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-would-you-charge-client-t206915.html)

Monroe 12-04-2012 11:10 AM

SO glad it all worked out! Too bad you can't charge emotional distress fees- I'm sure you lost a lot of sleep over this. Before doing another commission for her - or anyone else - consider what guarantees you want to be put in writing, and a hefty 2/3 deposit so you aren't out of pocket up front for materials. If it is a custom design have her sign directly on a copy of the pattern you create so she can't claim it was switched. I'd do this even with my best friend. Give yourself Plenty of leeway if promising a specific deadline, as Life sometimes gets in the way of the best plans. Celebrate your successful outcome, and enjoy the Holidays.

gail-r 12-04-2012 11:31 AM

I hate customers like that and over the years I have learned to be very clear on price. In the last few years I have become very firm on this, however I hate confrontation so I usually tell them up front that if for some reason they don't want to pay my price then I will hold the item for them for 2 weeks and after that it will go up for sale. I would think that with it having her grandfathers fabric in it she would want it no matter what the cost. The radiant star quilt I posted a picture of is actually going on my bed, but I had taken it to show my Simon Folly embroidery class and while I was out of the classroom a lady came in to admire the blocks the ladies are making. They showed her my quilt and she asked them if I ever sell my quilts, they told her I do so she came back to talk to me about buying it, she offered me $100. if I finished the binding. I did nicely let her know that I was honored that she liked my work but for $100 she should probably look at Walmart. Iknow people want a bargin but buying custom made quilts is usually going to cost you. Don't cave into her, tell that is the price and if she doesn't want to pay you, you will list it on Ebay.

yetta 12-04-2012 11:34 AM

Good news..glad it worked out for you. (and her)....isn't it wonderful to have so many quilting friends...xoxoxo yetta
hope you have a happy holiday....

gramadona 12-04-2012 11:40 AM

Hooooray!!!!!
I'm so glad for you that it worked out as well as it did. But then, how could she NOT love it?? It's so beautiful and, I'm sure, so much more than she expected.
You did a fantastic job! Congratulations!

Glenda m 12-04-2012 11:41 AM

All I can say is Yea!!!!!!!

Sandygirl 12-04-2012 12:30 PM

Congrats!! Much deserved price too!
Sandy

Pat M. 12-04-2012 02:35 PM

Four times the cost of your expenses will barely cover the cost and time you put into the quilt wall hanging. The woman is a bad person and you learned a valuable lesson. Always get the money/deposit up front. Keep the hanging until she pays or sell it to someone else.

Sandygirl 12-04-2012 06:17 PM

I think the topic title should be revised to say "update!"...esp. since the resolution to this sage has been reached...a happy one!
Sandy

Amythyst02 12-05-2012 01:16 AM

I am so happy things worked out for you. And I am glad she was so happy. Makes for a happy ending : )

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-05-2012 05:02 AM

I am SO glad that she paid you for this and then some!!! This is the hardest thing when you turn a passion into a business. The problem is - business is the OPPOSITE of art! We are creative and that involves emotion and passion and business requires logic and detachment from emotion. People forget that we who have small home businesses often pay retail for our supplies - and not only is she paying for the supplies she's paying for your creativity and your skill. It IS a skill to quilt and quilt well! You have spent years and money perfecting your skill and once you reach a certain level you should be compensated for it! :) My feeling is, if anyone could do it everyone WOULD be doing it. I have lost customers over my prices but it's ok, they are not my market. Your market is the group of people who CAN afford your prices and appreciate the SKILL that you perform!

So happy this worked out in the end! ;)