Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What's for Christmas and holiday gift giving? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/whats-christmas-holiday-gift-giving-t199140.html)

kateyb 09-06-2012 05:01 AM

I am making some 10 minute table runners, pot holders using some of my orphan blocks, some mug rugs/snack mats, coffee cuffs, & scraves for a craft fair for a fund raiser for a sewing group. What doesn't sell will become gifts for family and friends. My SIL travels a lot and has requested some distinctive luggage tags. So I may make some for all my family. Each of my four adult children will receive scrap quilts for Christmas. Two down two to go. My goal this year is to try to use as many of my scraps as possible.

GreatStarter 09-06-2012 04:34 PM

Sadly to say, but at the rate I am going this year, nothing. However there are two little girls who have already mentioned they can't wait till this Christmas to get the gifts Grandma will sew them. GULP... Last year at the last minute I decided to make them Super hero (well princess) capes. I made them out of their favorite colors Pink and lavender crushed velvet, and thick dark pink and purple satin linings. On the backs I sewed shiny silver crowns and their first initial in the color of their "sisters" cape. That way each girl had all the colors so there wouldn't be any fighting. Christmas day those capes were the big hit and they ignored most of their other gifts for the capes.
I have no idea what to make them this year that might equal the excitement those capes caused. Any ideas? They are now 3 yrs old and 5 years old. And now they have a brand new baby boy cousin, and they will be expecting grandma to make him something wonderful.

Kat

pattypurple 09-06-2012 04:51 PM

Kat, the girls are the perfect ages for their own purses. I make them from little girl's jeans,that have embroidery on them, that I find at thrift stores. Cut just below crotch. Open out the seam and straighten the bottom. Seam closed and add handles and you are done. Of course you can embellish, line, make closures to make them extra special

dawayesmeeth 09-06-2012 11:18 PM

Gorgeous sharing, i have seen your link, which you are posted in this thread. I watched your star shape pillow cases, those are looking awesome and great work done by you. I like those items very much.

dawayesmeeth 09-09-2012 11:20 PM

Wow very nice, i have seen your link, in that i found beautiful star shaped pillow cases, those are looking really awesome and amazing, those are perfect and best choice as Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing with us.

KellyPA 09-11-2012 09:37 AM

For those of you that are looking for a free pattern for the quilted christmas balls, I have one here - http://mysimplewalk.com/quilted-chri...-ball-pattern/

LivelyLady 09-11-2012 04:12 PM

Ornaments I made that were a hit were gingerbread men. I put 2 pieces of light brown felt together and then traced around my cookie cutter and sewed around the shape. Next I cut about 1/4" away from the sewing line. Before I get to where I began the stitching, I used little pieces of stuffing and stuffed it then finished sewing. Then I went over the stitching with puff paint and used the puff paint for a hairline, eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons. My grandchildren are enjoying making them now. (I also made a garland using the gingerbread and small plastic apples.)

pattilynn 10-04-2012 09:30 PM

I've got 8 purses made, 1 lap quilt, 10 mug rugs, 2 duffle bags, and 2 small throws and 2 lap mat covers......... but still many to go

Painiacs 10-04-2012 10:17 PM

I sure would LOVE the pattern for the ornaments!!!:-)

donac 10-05-2012 12:41 AM

I am going to be working on some lap quilts. Dh is going camping this weekend so he will be out of my hair all weekend. Only one to worry about is the dog so I have to move my sewing machine and ironing board up from the basement to the kitchen so I can make sure that the dog is not doing anything wrong. She will go up stairs but not down to the basement.