Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Work in Progress --- Summery quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/work-progress-summery-quilt-t123829.html)

JenniePenny 05-17-2011 03:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is what I'm currently working on - tentatively to be named "Verna's Cottage".
There is just one more border to put on. I'm thinking of the brown geometric that is the same as the 4-patches. But I have a few doubts.

What are some of your thoughts about the proposed border?
Is it too busy or distracting?

LoriEl 05-17-2011 03:30 PM

I do think it's distracting, almost like it doesn't belong even though it is in the quilt. Maybe b/c most of the quilt is lighter an that is so dark. Do you have an alternative to show, or would you have to shop?

gal288 05-17-2011 03:34 PM

I would like to see what it would look like with the rust color border. Can you try it & post?

JenniePenny 05-17-2011 03:35 PM

I think I agree with you and I appreciate the honesty.
I probably wouldn't have to shop. (Big stash...) I have some apple green fabrics that are tone on tone, and a wonderful chocolate tone on tone.

huntannette 05-17-2011 03:36 PM

I like the proposed border...i think it frames your quilt really well and also because you` ve already used the same fabric in your quilt, it brings everything together...i don`t think it is distracting...but that`s my opinion...

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
This is what I'm currently working on - tentatively to be named "Verna's Cottage".
There is just one more border to put on. I'm thinking of the brown geometric that is the same as the 4-patches. But I have a few doubts.

What are some of your thoughts about the proposed border?
Is it too busy or distracting?

JenniePenny 05-17-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
I would like to see what it would look like with the rust color border. Can you try it & post?

Good idea! It's not the same exact rust fabric (I only had a FQ of it) but I think I'l try that.

QuiltE 05-17-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny

Originally Posted by gal288

Good idea! It's not the same exact rust fabric (I only had a FQ of it) but I think I'l try that.

I agree ... while the border shown is from the quilt, it almost looks too heavy for the rest of the quilt.

I too am wondering about the rust in the outside border. I like how you did the L borders .. something different! And I think it might work well to finish the framing with it. Though when you do not have the same fabric, it might not work.

Do you have more of the fabric for the square printed blocks that has all the colours? It'd work too!

redquilter 05-17-2011 04:34 PM

I have to say I love the way you did the rust in the border, but I'm not loving the brown border. It looks good in the quilt, but seems too dark and overpowering as a border. I would go with something lighter.

nativetexan 05-17-2011 04:59 PM

oh yes, that is perfect. great idea!!! :thumbup:

Sewfine 05-17-2011 05:08 PM

I like it. I really makes the quilt pops. Looks good.