Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Work in Progress --- Summery quilt

This is what I'm currently working on - tentatively to be named "Verna's Cottage".
    There is just one more border to put on. I'm thinking of the brown geometric that is the same as the 4-patches. But I have a few doubts.

What are some of your thoughts about the proposed border?
    Is it too busy or distracting?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I do think it's distracting, almost like it doesn't belong even though it is in the quilt. Maybe b/c most of the quilt is lighter an that is so dark. Do you have an alternative to show, or would you have to shop?

Blog Entries
    I would like to see what it would look like with the rust color border. Can you try it & post?

I think I agree with you and I appreciate the honesty.
    I probably wouldn't have to shop. (Big stash...) I have some apple green fabrics that are tone on tone, and a wonderful chocolate tone on tone.

I like the proposed border...i think it frames your quilt really well and also because you` ve already used the same fabric in your quilt, it brings everything together...i don`t think it is distracting...but that`s my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    This is what I'm currently working on - tentatively to be named "Verna's Cottage".
    There is just one more border to put on. I'm thinking of the brown geometric that is the same as the 4-patches. But I have a few doubts.

What are some of your thoughts about the proposed border?
    Is it too busy or distracting?

Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    I would like to see what it would look like with the rust color border. Can you try it & post?
    Good idea! It's not the same exact rust fabric (I only had a FQ of it) but I think I'l try that.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    Good idea! It's not the same exact rust fabric (I only had a FQ of it) but I think I'l try that.
    I agree ... while the border shown is from the quilt, it almost looks too heavy for the rest of the quilt.

I too am wondering about the rust in the outside border. I like how you did the L borders .. something different! And I think it might work well to finish the framing with it. Though when you do not have the same fabric, it might not work.

Do you have more of the fabric for the square printed blocks that has all the colours? It'd work too!

I have to say I love the way you did the rust in the border, but I'm not loving the brown border. It looks good in the quilt, but seems too dark and overpowering as a border. I would go with something lighter.

Blog Entries
    oh yes, that is perfect. great idea!!! :thumbup:

I like it. I really makes the quilt pops. Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE

I too am wondering about the rust in the outside border. I like how you did the L borders .. something different! And I think it might work well to finish the framing with it. Though when you do not have the same fabric, it might not work.

Do you have more of the fabric for the square printed blocks that has all the colours? It'd work too!
    Thanks for the compliment about the rust fabric. I started to work on this quilt the day before Mothers day, while my son was away. On Mothers day, he gave me a few fat quarters from JoAnn's, including the rust. I was so pleased that he got me fabric that I decided right then I would work the rust into the quilt. I didn't have enough to do a full border, so I settled on framing just the corners!! Improvisation! However, I can go to JoAnn's and see if they sell that fabric on the bolt.

I don't have enough of the large focus fabric for a border, but I know the manufacturer and could buy online in a heart beat.
    Thanks for all ideas!

That is a lovely quilt!
    Maureen

Blog Entries
    Lovely pattern and colors, awesome job!

recently, I haven't put borders on my quilt. don't feel obligated to add a border if it is already a good size for what you want. It is a beautiful quilt. You might just want to use that fabric for the binding instead.

Try the yellow print you already have in there.

That's such a nice story about your son ... and quickly using his fabric in your quilt! I'm sure that'll help encourage him to do it again ... and again ... and again!!! :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I actually like the border you have laid out. That dark color frame sit all in. I think it all depends on what you are going for....Do you want it kind of soft looking or do you want some definition?

No I think it goes well. It draws your eye out to the edge of the quilt, which is what you want. It is a lovely design and the colors work well. Well done. :thumbup:

Well, the dark border looks good, but something else might also. This is a GREAT quilt. Love the colors and design. Please be sure to post a puc once it's quilted.