Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Worth it or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/worth-not-t65838.html)

greaterexp 09-20-2010 02:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I picked up these machines for $2.50 each and the treadle stand for $7 (no machine). I don't know what came over me to take on refurbishing these, especially without knowing how or if they are worth the work. I just hated to see them sitting there neglected and unused. I can't find any info about the Skandinaven treadle base. Has anyone heard of that company? I'd like to know how old it is.

mom-6 09-20-2010 02:25 PM

Well, with that kind of pricing, no way could you go wrong!

MaryStoaks 09-20-2010 02:27 PM

The top one is definatly worth it. It looks from a distance, like a 400 Singer. They use cams for fancy stitches, available on ebay etc. Very nice, such a deal. They are great machines. I paid $100 for mine and I'm cheap!

Tink's Mom 09-20-2010 02:29 PM

Maybe the treadle company was absorbed into Huskqvarna Viking...Lovely machines...the top Singer is the last model made in the US. It's a 401. It has all metal gears. I have my Mom's just like it.

KathyAire 09-20-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
The top one is definatly worth it. It looks from a distance, like a 400 Singer. They use cams for fancy stitches, available on ebay etc. Very nice, such a deal. They are great machines. I paid $100 for mine and I'm cheap!

What do the cams look like? I have a set of cams but they don't fit anything I have.

KathyAire 09-20-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by greaterexp
I picked up these machines for $2.50 each and the treadle stand for $7 (no machine). I don't know what came over me to take on refurbishing these,

I know what happened. It's this forum! The same thing happened to me when I bought a 301A. I've read about so many people buying the older machines, when I saw one, I had to buy it, as well. I don't even like it.

greaterexp 09-20-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks

What do the cams look like? I have a set of cams but they don't fit anything I have.

There were no cams with it. I have found some on eBay that I might purchase. Yes, the one machine is a Singer 401A, and the other is a Singer 600E Touch and Sew.

Darlene 09-20-2010 02:36 PM

Great buys you can always sell them and make some money on them.

Lacelady 09-20-2010 02:38 PM

How funny, I thought I would just google Skandinaven Machines and the fifth item down the page was this one!

SherriB 09-20-2010 02:39 PM

Wow! I could not of passed on those machines either!!! I have a Singer similar to the bottom one. Mine is a Touch and Sew that uses cams to make fancy stiches. I paid $75 for it in an antique store. I have been wanting a 401 A to go with my 301A and 501A. You are so lucky!