Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth it or not?

Blog Entries
    I picked up these machines for $2.50 each and the treadle stand for $7 (no machine). I don't know what came over me to take on refurbishing these, especially without knowing how or if they are worth the work. I just hated to see them sitting there neglected and unused. I can't find any info about the Skandinaven treadle base. Has anyone heard of that company? I'd like to know how old it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, with that kind of pricing, no way could you go wrong!

The top one is definatly worth it. It looks from a distance, like a 400 Singer. They use cams for fancy stitches, available on ebay etc. Very nice, such a deal. They are great machines. I paid $100 for mine and I'm cheap!

Maybe the treadle company was absorbed into Huskqvarna Viking...Lovely machines...the top Singer is the last model made in the US. It's a 401. It has all metal gears. I have my Mom's just like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    The top one is definatly worth it. It looks from a distance, like a 400 Singer. They use cams for fancy stitches, available on ebay etc. Very nice, such a deal. They are great machines. I paid $100 for mine and I'm cheap!
    What do the cams look like? I have a set of cams but they don't fit anything I have.

Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp
    I picked up these machines for $2.50 each and the treadle stand for $7 (no machine). I don't know what came over me to take on refurbishing these,
    I know what happened. It's this forum! The same thing happened to me when I bought a 301A. I've read about so many people buying the older machines, when I saw one, I had to buy it, as well. I don't even like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    What do the cams look like? I have a set of cams but they don't fit anything I have.
    There were no cams with it. I have found some on eBay that I might purchase. Yes, the one machine is a Singer 401A, and the other is a Singer 600E Touch and Sew.

Great buys you can always sell them and make some money on them.

Blog Entries
    How funny, I thought I would just google Skandinaven Machines and the fifth item down the page was this one!

Blog Entries
    Wow! I could not of passed on those machines either!!! I have a Singer similar to the bottom one. Mine is a Touch and Sew that uses cams to make fancy stiches. I paid $75 for it in an antique store. I have been wanting a 401 A to go with my 301A and 501A. You are so lucky!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    Great buys you can always sell them and make some money on them.
    That was my justification for getting them. I figured the cabinets are worth at least $2.50! My dear, sweet husband said nothing but kind things when I brought them home, and my son encouraged me to get them, saying he would help me figure out how to restore them. I had no idea when I found my Red Eye treadle for $40 that I would lose my sense of balance.

I would say yes! I love the old treadle legs. Are you going to find a machine or use it as a table? If you have a country kitchen it would be cool as the legs for a cutting board table.

JJs
    Banned
    the 401 (top picture) is worth whatever it was you paid for the whole mess...
    It has a built in 'cam stack' and has numerous MECHANICAL built in stitches (not done by a mother board that will go out on you).
    You can also use additional cams for even more stitches (but you don't have to have them).
    You'll love it..

Blog Entries
    I think my first Singer was a 503A, no built in stitches. It does have cams. I paid $75 in about the year 1975. I use it when I have to sew really thick fabrics because it is a workhorse.

The cams are hard black plastic shaped like a top hat.

Worth it!

Oh definitely worth it. I have a 401A Singer in storage. I can't bear to part with it. I've seen them go for $150 and more. Great buy.

The top one looks just like my 401A Singer Slantomatic. I gave 30 dollars for it at an auction. Sews like a dream. You can make a lot of decorative stitches by using different combinations on the dials in the center front. No cams needed for most of the stitches on mine.

the second Singer looks a lot like the one my Mother has now and I remember learning to sew on it many, many years ago. Boy, does that bring back many memories. I think I even made my wedding dress on it way back in 1962.

HECK YES

I have one like the top one too. Paid 15.00 for mine, you got a GREAT deal!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp
    I picked up these machines for $2.50 each and the treadle stand for $7 (no machine). I don't know what came over me to take on refurbishing these,
    I know what happened. It's this forum! The same thing happened to me when I bought a 301A. I've read about so many people buying the older machines, when I saw one, I had to buy it, as well. I don't even like it.
    I really like the 301A and the 401 Singers, they sew great;
    all metal gears.
    The 2nd picture looks like a Touch & Sew, not great machines; they have nylon gears that perish over time.
    The name on the treadle stand isn't one I'm familar with.

The second one looks a lot like my Slant-O-Matic 603 Special, altho the controls on the left are different. The instruction book for my 603 has a copyright of 1963. Is the Touch-N-Sew newer or older than 1963? My 603 is still going strong. It's the machine I learned to sew on and altho I have a newer one that I use for most of my quilting, I still use the 603 from time to time. It's got a beautiful stitch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I would say yes! I love the old treadle legs. Are you going to find a machine or use it as a table? If you have a country kitchen it would be cool as the legs for a cutting board table.
    It came with a cutting board on top. The whole thing was sitting out in the pouring rain. It's all in very rough shape, but I'm going to use it for something, if only for a table. I just have to figure out how to clean up and restore the iron. What a treasure to have this site with Billy's tutorials! I"ve never been so anxious to be done with the garden, so I can dig in.

my dil inherited the 401 or 401A (?) when her mother died. that beige one. she flew it all the way from california to new york. i had my guy give it the once over. he discovered the shaft was broken, but he was able to find a replacement and it works like brand new. it weighs a TON. no cabinet, but it has all it's cams, manual and attachments, and the original carry case. i don't think her mom ever used it. it was clean as could be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast