Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   your opinion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/your-opinion-t110073.html)

lovingmama 03-23-2011 11:15 AM

Your quilt is very beautiful, as in my opinion, I wouldn't use the floral as a border.

Should you do have more of the dots, I think that would work great.

Let us see more of your gorgeous quilt, when it's done.

milp04 03-23-2011 11:16 AM

The quilt looks very nice. From the picture the floral appears to match. However, since you said that it looks or reads as a lavendar then I would probably keep searching for a fabric to use as the outside border fabric. Since your DGD want flannel for the backing then have flannel as the quilt is for her.

Is it possible to have her help you pick out the fabrics for both the outside border(s) and the backing? This would be best if at all possible. If she's in another city, then mail her fabric swatches and have her look in her area and find what she likes. She can then get the information and a fabric swatch and sent it back to you.

It seems that children really do have strong opinions about what they like. They like bright colors. I would do my best to make it to her liking. She will love that she got to be a part of the quilt making process. Maybe a future quilter's lurking inside?

Pam M

maggy 03-23-2011 11:20 AM

I think the dots or a solid color would add to the quilt since it is for a younger person. The colors are beautiful,also I would use one of the dots for a backing and she will have a reverisible quilt.

SuzyQ 03-23-2011 11:37 AM

I love the quilt! I think I'd pass on the floral though ... the quilt is very crisp and neat looking and I think the floral would take away from it. JMHO

Susan

irishrose 03-23-2011 11:37 AM

I'd use a narrow solid black eye stopper strip, then a nice border of the dots. Binding could be black or the dots again. I hope you mean the pink dots on black. I like those. In fact, I bought some from a board member last year.

merry 03-23-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I am making this pink and black quilt for my DGD graduation present. I was going to use the floral for the backing ; but she wants flannel. Do you think the floral would work as a border or not? the pink in the floral almost looks lavendar next to the pink in the quilt. Thanks for looking.

I think the floral fabric is gorgeous. I just don't think it works as a border with this quilt.

Your quilt has a clean crisp graphic quality without the border. The floral fabric looks almost embroidered, beautiful, but it seems like it belongs on a fancier quilt.

I agree

:thumbup:

wolph33 03-23-2011 11:41 AM

that is beautiful-the floral is pretty but not as a border on this quilt-distracts eyes away from your beautiful work

damaquilts 03-23-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I don't think I'd use the floral. do you have more of the pink or black?

I don't have anymore of the brite pink sashing. but have more of the dots.

I was just going to suggest the dots if you need a border for size.

Tcharlie 03-23-2011 11:48 AM

I am making this pink and black quilt for my DGD graduation present. I was going to use the floral for the backing ; but she wants flannel. Do you think the floral would work as a border or not? the pink in the floral almost looks lavendar next to the pink in the quilt. Thanks for looking.

I think a polka dot fabric border would look great! Do you have any of the black/pink left to use for the border?

KathyAire 03-23-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I was just going to suggest the dots if you need a border for size.

My suggestion, as well. Audition the dots.