Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Puzzle Quilt for Kathi >

Puzzle Quilt for Kathi

Puzzle Quilt for Kathi

Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 PM

This certainly is a WOW quilt, just beautiful. I am interested in which QAYG method you used.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 PM

Wonderfully creative quilt! Your niece is very lucky to have an auntie like you! This is great!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 PM

The whole quilt is 9 sections. Side sections were about 11 x 21 and the centers were about 42+- by 21. I worked on the three center sections first, buffalo, then the cowgirl, then the bottom panel, indian tent and chickens. The side sections were added later. Everything was rotary cut.

I didn't show the quilt back on this website, but it is all the same. The fabric looks like a crazy quilt on the back. I laid out the backing, then the batting, then the top sections, pinned it and quilted it all together. Once that was done, I trimmed them, and they were fairly big pieces, and used 1 inch (unfolded) and 1 3/4 inch (folded) strips for the front and back connections. I think it's called the "Cotton Theory" of QAYG because she was the first one to come up with it. Is that clear?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Hello Quilting Board Members:

Several of you have asked me specific questions about how I made this quilt. I'll try to answer here. As I told someone else, this was my first real effort at a "puzzle quilt" so it took a lot of time because I just wasn't familar with how to put together a lot of different blocks that aren't the same size. I'm much better at it now, and understand the theory and technique. A lot of the work and fun was in designing, putting this block here and that one there and seeing if I liked it and wondering what would go next to it.

Yes, it was the "Cotton Theory" of QAYG (Quilt As You Go). Done in 9 seperate sections with several blocks to a section.

The quilt is divided into three parts, top (buffalo), middle (cowgirl) and bottom (indian tent and tulip) and then two sides on each section.

The center of each is about 41 wide and 21 tall. Because those center sections had the "special blocks" I put a LOT of time into designing each section.

Then on the sides of each section is an 11 x 21 side piece that has more blocks, for a total of six more side pieces.

When I did the QAYG, I was working with 9 total pieces, six that were approx 11 x 21 (the sides) and three that were approx 41 x 21 (the center sections). The quilt measures approx 53 x 63 give or take a little.

My sashing or connecting pieces were 1 inch unfolded, and 1-3/4 inch folded. Next time I'll do it slightly differently. I've been reading about a technique where you use elmer's glue to hold down the back piece and SID from the front side to hold it permanently. I think I'd rather do that.

As for those special blocks, you can find them and lots more beautiful vintage and special subject blocks at:

http://oldeamericaantiques.com/catal...ocks-c-30.html

In all, I think I worked on this off and on over a period of two years. Because of the complexity of it, I had to put it down every so often and work on another project. Also, I had shoulder surgery last summer and once I started doing the QAYG, it was difficult pushing those layers thru my machine.

I really iintended it to be very scrappy, and wanted to put blocks in that I enjoyed making. Someone asked about the 1/4 log cabin blocks, and that's not what they are, they are called "hanky corners" at least that's what I understand them to be. Just squares with strips added round and round, until I made them all the same size.

The back side is a "cheater cloth" that looks like an old fashioned crazy quilt. It works well with the theme. If you were to check this quilt out for perfection, you wouldn't find it!! I have stitches that went too far, a few snarls, points lost, quilting too dense in some areas, oh I can tell you lots about it's imperfections. But that said, we're all very imperfect, aren't we? However, if each of us is viewed as an individual person, we're quite lovely! We're unique, delightful, colorful and beautiful to our Maker.

I told Kathi to USE it, don't save it. Drag it out on the porch and wrap yourself up in it, take it in the car to a picnic, USE it, don't save it. I pray she'll enjoy it and remember the reason for it that I wrote on the corner. "To remind you how much God and I love you."

If anyone wants to give me a call, I'm happy to talk with you individually and give suggestions or advice. Just PM me and I'll reply with my phone number.

Blessings to you all and thanks for such kind, encouraging words.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM

I love that quilt. You did a great job of integrating her theme.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Truly an amazing piece!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Thank you for the website for the blocks. I didn't know such a site existed. Wow!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM

How unique! Love it! :thumbup:
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Gorgeous! It is stunning!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM

I love it!!