Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Puzzle Quilt variation - "Trying to Fit In"

Gorgeous, now I have to make one!!! Thanks, urghhhhhhhhh!!

Blog Entries
    I have had this pattern for a long time but never had the courage to try it. This one looks easy. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    How are you going to sew that last blue piece in the row?
    Carefully :-D

So first I'm going to add small squares to the middle and top of the blue piece to make it one rectangle. Then I'm going to add triangles to the various sides to make a rectangular block, with the blue on an angle. Kinda a square within a square.

At that point, attach the border strip above and below, and attach to the quilt.
    I'm completely lost....what is the extra blue piece for? Is the one laid out sewn together...I'll have to go check the pattern????

:lol:

Very clever pattern. Did you know that puzzle pieces are the symbol for Autism??? I bought a fabric from Hobby Lobby that is puzzle pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanjun
    I have had this pattern for a long time but never had the courage to try it. This one looks easy. :)
    Other than needing a big space to lay it out so you make sure the colors get sewn to the right pieces (big accomplishment - no seam ripping on this!), it's pretty easy. Just squares and rectangles.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    I'm completely lost....what is the extra blue piece for? Is the one laid out sewn together...I'll have to go check the pattern????

:lol:
    The extra blue piece is going in the border, which isn't attached yet, since I don't want to pay for border fabric (I'd rather eat... I'm needy :-D), so the blue piece will have a border around it, so it will be hanging out in the border, trying to get into the empty space, which will also be border.

Right now, the blue piece isn't sewn together, nor the 2 on either side of the empty piece in the quilt. Because of how it goes together, I can't sew them until I have border fabric cut and added. And actually the whole row(or column depending on how you look at it) by the border piece isn't attached.

I would recut a piece to exactly make the shape needed. I think it is amazing quilt. I use to do jigsaw puzzles as a pass time.

DJ
    It's beautiful, and I love the idea of the last piece being in the border. Am I missing the message? The last piece isn't really the right shape to fit in . . . is that it?

And thanks for the pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    It's beautiful, and I love the idea of the last piece being in the border. Am I missing the message? The last piece isn't really the right shape to fit in . . . is that it?

And thanks for the pattern!
    The message is open to interpretation ;)

What actually happened is I miscalculated the pieces I needed. The missing piece needs a square of fabric 6.5" x 8.5" and I had used up all of my fat quarters. I don't think I could have even pulled if off piecing it, since I had 2.5" x 2.5" leftover from each fat quarter and that was it. The blue piece in the border is waaaaaay too small to be recut into something bigger, so that wasn't going to happen. I didn't want to randomly introduce a fabric for 1 piece only. So I decided to be creative. :D

I love it! This would make a great quilt for a teenager. Especially if you are giving it to one who needs some encouraging! I like that the piece outside the rest isn't teh same as the space. Very cool quilt and whoever gets it is going to love it. Great color placement too!

This is very creative! I love it! What are you going to put in the empty space between the top and batting? Border fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    This is very creative! I love it! What are you going to put in the empty space between the top and batting? Border fabric?
    Yes, exactly. On my floor, pretending the wood is the border, it's clear a piece is missing. So the actual border fabric will go in that empty space to similarly indicate something's missing, rather than that it's a differently colored piece (e.g. black piece with white border - wouldn't work)

I love your puzzle quilt. I couldn't get my computer to open the Excel. I have the new Windows7 so I don't know if that was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianlee
    I love your puzzle quilt. I couldn't get my computer to open the Excel. I have the new Windows7 so I don't know if that was the problem.
    I happen to be dating a tech guru. His first question - do you have Excel on that computer? :) I use Excel all the time at work with Windows 7 (love Windows 7!). My file is Office 2003 format, but it will open in Office 2007 if that's what you're running. It's sometimes more tricky to open a 2007 file in 2003. He's saying there's no reason for it not to work, assuming you have Excel. If you don't, you can download Open Office for free and open the file in that. I used it for about 2 years until I could afford real MS Office

I just finished a Quilter's Puzzle quilt for my grandson, who is graduating from high school in the Spring. Fun to do. I'll try and add a picture but if you don't see one then you'll know I need help.

100_0808jpg
    Name:  Attachment-22409.jpe
Views: 528
Size:  70.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would love to have the pattern for the puzzle quilt.First time I have seen it.Can I get the pattern from you.

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

I bought my pattern at a quilt shop. It is called Quilter's Puzzle by eQuiltPatterns.com. I made mine longer and wider because he is quite tall. Also he has a form of Autism and their symbol is the missing puzzle piece.

Quote Originally Posted by booties57
    I would love to have the pattern for the puzzle quilt.First time I have seen it.Can I get the pattern from you.
    See page 1, 2nd post by me, Excel file attached.

Well, duh...I never thought of using Excel to plan a block pattern. Thanks for showing me this!

Your quilt is beautiful. I haven't made a jigsaw puzzle (yet), but I love how they turn out.

you do realize that the blue piece doesn't fit into the puzzle, right?

I love this quilt...so cute and I agree about the edges. I think that's what has always bothered me about the traditional pattern. I think if it were me...I might just applique the blue piece onto the border and be done with it. That way you could twist and turn and get it exactly where you want it.

Blog Entries
    Is there any particular color/fabric you will use on the border? Great job on the quilt and I love the color combo.

Blog Entries
    Loving the quilt...You did an AWESOME job!!! Getting involved with this site is so getting me into trouble..LOL There is so many ideas from everyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast