Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
QAYG try 1 >

QAYG try 1

QAYG try 1

Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Dave....keep going, practice all you can and it will get better and better!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 PM

stitch in the ditch is a very hard method for anyone, especially for a beginner. use a matching thread for that with a very busy fabric for the backing for 'forgiveness'.

when you stipple or meander, move your whole upper body. i think you'll find it easier if you loosen up and try not to get too tense.

for practicing, do lots of loops, in all directions. then do wiggles. don't only do meandering. get used to the feeling of moving in all ways. spell out your name. follow drawn lines. you don't have to start out being creative. that will come. right now you want to be smooth. don't get nervous. keep practicing and when you feel that you're tightening up, stop and relax for a while. have a glass of wine. spell out the name of the wine. have fun with it. the bulb will light up over your head and you'll have it!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
stitch in the ditch is a very hard method for anyone, especially for a beginner. use a matching thread for that with a very busy fabric for the backing for 'forgiveness'.

when you stipple or meander, move your whole upper body. i think you'll find it easier if you loosen up and try not to get too tense.

for practicing, do lots of loops, in all directions. then do wiggles. don't only do meandering. get used to the feeling of moving in all ways. spell out your name. follow drawn lines. you don't have to start out being creative. that will come. right now you want to be smooth. don't get nervous. keep practicing and when you feel that you're tightening up, stop and relax for a while. have a glass of wine. spell out the name of the wine. have fun with it. the bulb will light up over your head and you'll have it!
I am also new to FMQ and I have to say....I love your advice!! I think I will try it :-)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Great first try....my first try was REALLY bad. Practice REALLY does help. The BEST advise I can give you is RELAX. We all tend to tense up while quilting, I have to remember to relax and drop my shoulders....I tend to find them almost up to my ears while quilting. When I relax I do much better work...it is hard at first but you will get there. practice, practic, practic. BTW...you can use your practice pieces for potholders or rug mugs, etc....my husband using an old practice piece of mine to cover his Harley. LOL!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

thank you very much for your reply sorry
it took so long to answer