Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quick Watercolor Quilt >

Quick Watercolor Quilt

Quick Watercolor Quilt

Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Do you have to use interfacing with a grid on it? If so, where do you get it? I'm requesting this book from the library. I can't wait.
Hi Kathleen,

I used just plain old featherweight interfacing and placed it on my cutting mat. The measurement grid clearly showed through, so no, you don't need to buy the interfacing with the grid. In fact, the book explains that you can use your cutting mat and ruler to mark your fusible interfacing if you want to, but I didn't find it necessary. Once the pieces are all fused to the interfacing they're not going anywhere and the whole thing automatically folds on the seam lines making it very easy to stitch your 1/4" seam.

I will say this: The seam is "thicker", meaning it appears slightly "puffed up", but I found that to be a pleasant looking thing, and once I did some SID on the squares in the center it actually accented the floral wreath somewhat. I'm just about ready to bind it, then need to add a hanging sleeve and it's done!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM

very lovely!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Beautiful!!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Finished!

Well, as usual, life seems to get in the way of how we want things to go, but I finally got this little beauty finished, just need to tack the sleeve in place and put a label on it. Then it's ready to be shipped out for a wedding gift, a few days late, but I'm sure the recipients will be busy next week. lol

I decided to add corners that seem as if it was a photo from an old-time photo album, using the lilac floral fabric. I'm pleased with the results and took the quilt outside into the sunshine yesterday and ended up gathering a large crowd in the street outside our condo! lol Lots of oooh's and aaaah's, so guess it turned out just fine!

I was very conservative on the quilting of this project, simply because I'm still too chicken to do anything of substance in that department yet. I keep practicing FMQ, but it's slow going, so will just do simple things until I feel more confident at it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332244[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails lilac-heart-finished.jpg  

Last edited by Helen S; 05-01-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: photo was in line with text
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing the "book" with us.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

WOW! That is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Gorgeous! It looks to me like everything is in the perfect place. Lovely fabrics and design, beautifully done.
Absolutely beautiful.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Hi Kathleen,

I used just plain old featherweight interfacing and placed it on my cutting mat. The measurement grid clearly showed through, so no, you don't need to buy the interfacing with the grid. In fact, the book explains that you can use your cutting mat and ruler to mark your fusible interfacing if you want to, but I didn't find it necessary. Once the pieces are all fused to the interfacing they're not going anywhere and the whole thing automatically folds on the seam lines making it very easy to stitch your 1/4" seam.

I will say this: The seam is "thicker", meaning it appears slightly "puffed up", but I found that to be a pleasant looking thing, and once I did some SID on the squares in the center it actually accented the floral wreath somewhat. I'm just about ready to bind it, then need to add a hanging sleeve and it's done!
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I have to pick up my book at the library tomorrow. It is waiting for me. I've got to try this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Lovely. Colours are beautiful
Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Very Pretty.