Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt finished but not happy with it..

This quilt a friend picked the fabrics I used all but the yellow which i thought was just the wrong yellow... I had thought about framing the blocks with it but it looked bad.. I am happy it is done but I am not sure why it seems to not look good to me,;( any suggestions ideas> ? I really dislike the blue color .. generally that may be it.. There is brown minki that goes on the back of this..
    Help./. ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is a minki?

I think it would look nice with small sashing framing the blocks.

Banned
    I actually think it looks great!~ I love the colors.

You know how it is, you see a fabric or collection and you instantly fall in love. I bet your friend will flip when she sees your creation made from her fabric prints!

Can you give any tips on backing a quilt with Minkee? I'm so scared of that stuff. Love it, but I'm afraid to work with it.

I like it. It looks really nice.

Blog Entries
    I think it looks great!

nice

Quote Originally Posted by skpkatydid
    What is a minki?

I think it would look nice with small sashing framing the blocks.
    minki is that plush soft baby fabric with the dots it is great on blankies;).

what about yellow sashing? I thought it just broke it all up and looked odd but at the time i only had 4 blocks done.. Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    You know how it is, you see a fabric or collection and you instantly fall in love. I bet your friend will flip when she sees your creation made from her fabric prints!

Can you give any tips on backing a quilt with Minkee? I'm so scared of that stuff. Love it, but I'm afraid to work with it.
    Just use it like fabric.. I take it to a machine quilter and they have no issue with it at all. I even had one done with the softer fabric that is little tufted swirls SO SOFT !!

Even though this was not your favorite project, look at it as a learning experience - also hold your piece up to different colored walls or fabric swatches. That will help you get a better feel for the color scheme. If this is your friend's quilt let her decide where to go from here. Personally, I like it as is.

Looks great!

Is this sewn to very wide white borders, or is it pinned to a white fabric of some kind?

You have done a very nice job

i would use the yellow to put in between the blocks

Quote Originally Posted by retired teacher
    Is this sewn to very wide white borders, or is it pinned to a white fabric of some kind?
    LOL>. NO that is my design wall it is pinned to for taking the picture..

Quote Originally Posted by retired teacher
    Even though this was not your favorite project, look at it as a learning experience - also hold your piece up to different colored walls or fabric swatches. That will help you get a better feel for the color scheme. If this is your friend's quilt let her decide where to go from here. Personally, I like it as is.
    Yeah that is the consensus I am getting asking a friend, my mom and the comments here... it will be fine. I wonder if machine quilting it with a bark color wil break up some of the blue. too. I dislike that blue a lot.. LOL.. so that is I am sure part of it.

The person who is getting it is my daughters friend.. daughter says it is fine too.. . ... I had not talked to her yet , she texted me to say she thought there was going to be yellow.... but she just emailed and said it is fine ;). good not ripping it out. It is done !! :). Onto other things !! yes a learning experience.

I think it looks lovely. Binding with the yellow might make the yellows in the prints pop. Your friend will love it, not only because she picked the colors, but because she has such a dear friend willing to do this for her! :D

Blog Entries
    The first quilt I made, I loved the blocks and when I laid them out, they looked horrid. Someone pointed out to me that I had NO blue in it and that was missing...

I think your quilt is very pretty. Your feeling is most likely because you don't like the color.

I like it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I bet she will love it.

nicely done and so pretty. I think yellow would have been wrong. WTG, girl

It's really pretty. You could embroider a line of some slightly fancy running stitch around each block, and that would accentuate the blocks. You could use either that darker blue of the inside of each quilt square or something darker, from the border. It would pull it together and be easy to do! But it's really nice as it is, too, with a soft and floating-in-the-sky feeling. Float off to sleep.....(from potwoman)

I too really like it. I would be happy with that quilt.

Kyia

Quote Originally Posted by potwoman
    It's really pretty. You could embroider a line of some slightly fancy running stitch around each block, and that would accentuate the blocks. You could use either that darker blue of the inside of each quilt square or something darker, from the border. It would pull it together and be easy to do! But it's really nice as it is, too, with a soft and floating-in-the-sky feeling. Float off to sleep.....(from potwoman)
    I can't do embroider.. but I do like the darker blue idea to bind it that may just pull it all together !!

Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    nicely done and so pretty. I think yellow would have been wrong. WTG, girl
    yeah I tried cutting several shades and it just wasn't right. It is growing on me now and I think it will be fine I will take it up for my daughter to see in person. this week. Thank you everyone for feedback :) appreciate it

I think it looks good the way it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast