Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The quilt from hell is done! >

The quilt from hell is done!

The quilt from hell is done!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 PM

I;m sorry to hear about your troubles...
several years ago as a new quilter, I used a batting and a fleece for a backing...
I didn't do anything fancy for the quilting and it is one of my favorite feeling quilts...
currently I am tring to use a fleece for a backing again,,,but remember...again nothing fancy...up and down, top to bottom...then round the bindings...
wish me luck.
K
Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 AM

I use fleece for baby quilt backings. I just "tack" the quilt, rather than fully quilt it together. Prevents stretching. I also do it like an envelope and turn it right side out. No binding issues.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Beautiful quilt...
Thanks for all the laughs in chat
Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum, but I just had to chuckle and make a small comment when I saw the title of this thread. The quilt looks wonderful! I would have never thought to use fleece as a backing though. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who dubs troublsome projects the quilts from hell! I started on one in January of this year that I don't think I will EVER tackle again. I might use some of the elements, but not make the entire quilt again. I hope to be done by Christmas as it is suppose to be a gift for my in laws, but we'll see. Happy quilting everyone!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 AM

Sure is pretty though!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Beaver Creek, you must learn that you can't just mention something here on the board and then NOT show us a pic!!!! :shock: We want to see your quilt from hell!!! I bet its just a beauty! BTW, welcome to the board.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Hmmm - I've made several 2 layer lap-sized quilts with fleece backing instead of 3-layer quilts with regular batting, but it does require a lot more preparation and organization than a regular quilt because of the weight.

I pin the daylights out of it and machine quilt using my Pfaff's built in walking foot. Maybe the lap quilt size makes a difference, - 60inches maximum (the width of the fleece) by 50 inches up to 70 inches - helps.

The pins are no more than a closed fist apart. I don't do any fancy quilting, and I quilt at least every 4 inches to hold the thing together. I machine sew straight lines ONLY on these quilts. I do all the vertical lines first, and then the horizontal lines. I've used both 'thin' fleece and 'heavy' fleece. I just finished a heavy fleece one last week, and it turned out beautifully. I prefer thin fleece, but I had the heavier fleece in the house, and I didn't feel like shopping. . .

I don't wrestle with all that weight. I back my sewing table into a corner, so the weight of the quilt is not falling off the table in back of the sewing machine. I set up a card table beside my sewing table and an ironing board next to me to keep the weight of the quilt from dragging on the needle --- and ME.

I should have taken a picture while I was doing this., but I never think to do that, and I don't know how to upload it anyway. When I'm at my table arrrangement , I'm almost surrounded by the table, card table and ironing board almost like a 'dot' in the middle of a C. I hope that gives you the 'picture.'
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 AM

WOW, thanks for the tip. I was thinking of backing my daughter's quilt (in the planning stages) with fleece. Regardless, it is a very pretty quilt and you should be proud. (and YOU didn't even realize you would be getting a workout.....LOL)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Beaver Creek, you must learn that you can't just mention something here on the board and then NOT show us a pic!!!! :shock: We want to see your quilt from hell!!! I bet its just a beauty! BTW, welcome to the board.
Thanks for the Welcome! I will post something as soon as I have all the pieces on. Then I will post what I learned from doing this quilt. Last week I was ready to throw it in the goat pen and let them stomp it in the mud! After the DH saw it, he said he didn't know what I was fretting over, just finish the *%$# thing and give it to his mother! LOL M (daughter) says you are the only quilt expert in the family no one will know what's wrong with it but you and now I do! I promise, I will post pictures soon!
BTW... the quilt is the Bible Quilt from the Rosemary Makan book. I've dubbed it the Bible quilt from hell. I will probably go to hell for calling it that though. LOL
Shelly
Old 12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Yes, you probably will :lol: Just be sure to post a pic of it before you go!! :wink: :lol: