Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
quilt from hell >

quilt from hell

quilt from hell

Old 10-30-2010, 03:36 AM

I had a quilt from hell. It was one of my first (for my son). I bought flannel from W.M. (mistake) and could not keep it from bunching on the back. I told my husband that I was going to take it outside and burn it. He helped me quilt in the ditch. I was pushing the fabric through and he was on the other side pulling. Finially got it finished (it turned out nice) and out of the house.

Lynn
Old 10-30-2010, 03:37 AM

I think it's beautiful, I really like your fabric choices. Your grandmother will probably love it even more knowing how much effort you put into finishing it for her. If that doesn't say love I don't know what would.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:27 AM

I am a grandma, and I tell you this, your grandma will love that quilt no matter how bad you think it is. If my granddaughter made something special for me( which she won't, not into making things), I would cherish it, no matter how it looked. I have lots of drawings made by my grands, and I have them out where I see them everyday, and they are typical grade school drawings. Besides that, I like your quilt.!!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 AM

To me, every quilt is a "work of art", that develops unique characteristics and a personality of its own. "Wonky" patterns seem pretty popular, so go with it and accept and love it for what it is! Just smile and tell everyone it's an Art Quilt. :thumbup:
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 AM

I had one like that and finally finished it. Only took me 4 years. I would work on it, then put it back in the "todo" pile. My BFF saw it and fell in love with it, so now she has the monster and proudly uses it.
Your quilt is very nice and no one will know it wasn't met to be like you have it. My BFF didn't, and I was so ashamed of it I never talked to her about the "MONSTER".
Finish it and only you will know where the mistakes are hidden. :thumbup:
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

That is quite an under taking for a first quilt. Remember each quilt you make a learning lesson. All of mine have been a lesson. I have learned with each one what not to do and what would have made the process easier. You may start liking it after you have it completed.
I think each of us have had a quilt from hell. Infact I have several.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 AM

I made a quilt like this and I didn't applique it. I found a pattern in a quilting magazine that showed how to sew the blocks on the round. It took me about 4 weeks to cut and sew the blocks together. I can send you the directions if you like me to.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Please try to finish it! You will be glad you did! Your "learning lessons" will be much loved by grandma!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 AM

I understand where you are coming from! I to have had my share of quilting projects from hell, but as others have said, they each represent a valuable lesson and show our growth as quilters (and show how much grit we have to stick with it). I love your quilt. The colors are perfect, the circles are very well done, and it will be so warm! I love circle quilts, but never would have had the persistence to applique all those circles!

Speaking as a gram, I would treasure it, and I just know your Gram will too! Good for you!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:29 AM

I think you are doing a great job and I applaud your perserverance at trying to finish it. I have hell projects stashed everywhere and when I find them, I look the other way! Your grandmother will love it and you for making it just for her.