Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt, I sold for $300.00 >

Quilt, I sold for $300.00

Quilt, I sold for $300.00

Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shrabar View Post
living in NY & living in Missouri is a big difference the only cost for me was the backing & batting that I already had the blocks all were cut & giving to me 356 of them, it took me i month to make doing it when ever I can, I sold baby quilt that all I had to do is quilt it & was paid $80 it really depends who is buying it
Not true. I live in upstate NY, 3 hours north of NY City, so we are closer in per capita spending and income than you may think. While geographically located close to the capital of NY, the area is predominantly rural. So many people think of the city when they think of NY but I bet you didn't know that New Yorks #1 gross domestic product is agriculture! New York is much more a farm state then most would imagine. We have a very dense population of Amish and Mennonite and many family dairy farms that have been farming for generations. We are really not that different from Missouri.

A quick look at the US census figures posted on line ( http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/36083.html ) show per capita retail spending for my area is $18.1K per year and your area is $18.6 so spending is higher in your area than mine. Median personal income between your area and mine only varies by $5k per year, my area being $28K and yours being $23K but our taxes are MUCH higher than yours so after taxes it all evens out. Granted these are 2007 figures but we are really quite close. Actually most of my sales come from other parts of the state and country.

I was not trying to diminish what you received for the quilt in any way. I (and several other posters in this topic) were simply trying to point out that given the time and materials you invested in the quilt you may wish to re-evaluate your pricing. Later you posted you didn't do the top, only invested backing and batting. It's all good. If you are happy with the amount fine, just don't undervalue yourself and disclose all the facts when you post you sold a quilt.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-03-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Very pretty quilt. I sold one 2 weeks ago - twin size for $400 to a co-worker. She really wanted 2 but once I said $400 changed her mind. Yep, huge loss in terms of my time but I learned alot from that quilt. No commissioned quilts any time soon! The 2nd one I made into a lap and sold it to a very dear friend for $1.00. She really wanted to pay for it but her friendship is worth more to me than anything so I had her give me a $1.00 and told her 'paid in full' - her happiness had me at the first tear....
Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Congratulations on the sale of a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM

Love the lighter colors!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Good for you! It is very diffiicult to put a price on something we all love doing. I also give mine as gifts. I have done three this year so far andhave given them all away. My husband thinks I am crazy but its my prerogative.