Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: quilt and a snake

Blog Entries
    Where I live snakes, toads, salamanders, turtles are all around. Something about seeing a snake scares the ----- out of me everytime, usually I get the rake and assist them back towards the woods. Love the big blocks for a quick project!
    Just passing through!

Beautiful quilt and quilting. Sure could have done without that snake, though! :-)

Blog Entries
    Living in Diamond Back and Copperhead country, I love to see a nice big black snake slithering its way across my yard.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    I agree with the masses. Quilt beautiful, snake... eeeek. I hate em too. I was loading some logs left on the property when the ditch rider trimmed the trees, and found a snake all coiled up under a log as I moved it last week. Needless to say, I was out of there, and someone else finished up that job!! YUCK!! I do really love your quilt though! Glad to hear Mr snake didn't slither across it!

Beautiful quilt, but OMG! i coulda done without the snake!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Hate snakes big time. but your quilt is beautiful. joyce j

We had a black snake living in our barn when we moved here and after a couple years we saw a dead black snake in the road. Wondered if it was ours and sure enough it must have been since we were over run with RATS the following winter. Haven't been able to find another black snake, but have barn cats now and knock on wood have not seen any rats since we exterminated 3 years ago.

Love your quilt. You did a great job. Glad you got rid of the snake from the pool.

nice quilt hope the snake is gone for good

Beautiful quilt. As far as I am concerned, the only good snake is one in a belt or bag or shoes. Our son, however, whom we are sure was switched at birth, loves them and picks them up. The other three of us shudder and run the other way! Glad the snake was ON the quilt.

Beautiful quilt! Love the simplicity of the design and the colors.

Blog Entries
    i think your quilt is lovely. i enjoy seeing the diversity in nature, and that includes snakes. they are more helpful than not, and they only strike when scared or hungry. if we fear the unknown, the best way to counter that is to make it known. i taught pre-school and my ball pythons were invited every year to meet the children. the kids were never afraid but i had to kick the teacher of one class out of the room. fear can be learned easily. ball pythons are about 4' long at maturity and docile if handled well. cleo was especially good and would let anyone hold her , or wear her. she spent 4 yrs in h.s. with her buddy mark anthony and they spent most of their time on some kid, lol. garter snakes are lovely, they eat things we hate and they are non-threatening. that all having been said, i don't like being surprised by snakes. the 2 would sometimes escape my son's tank and then i would find them under the bed, hissing at me, or in the bathroom, enjoying the tile, i guess. that was unsettling. my son still has cleo, 24 yrs and counting. she is no longer safe to pick up because she's blind and will strike at air disturbances, like hands in the tank. who knows how long she will live, but she will continue to be a quiet part of the family until she passes. she has met hundreds of children and taught them about snakes, and kindness, and curiosity. pretty good for a snake, i think!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I had a similar incident. Took a trip, gone 2 weeks. When we returned, the first thing I did was the laundry. I opened the washer and there was a lizard in the bottom, about 6 inches long. Of course I called DH to get it out. He ran some water in the washer, and the lizard finally came to the top of the water. DH scooped it out. From now on I will check the washer before putting clothes in it! By the way, you did a great job on the quilt. Love those layer cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    The quilt is nice, and so is this harmless garter snake. They help to keep down the rodent population in your area. They are clean and quiet, and if you try to look at it objectively, you might notice that the pattern of the scales is quite pretty. Where's the harm? It's a shame that snakes get such a bad rap. The vast majority of them are much more a help to us than a threat. Even the venomous ones are just out there minding their own business and have no desire to hurt people, since they can't eat us. They strike in self defense, usually when they're afraid for their lives. I'm not saying that people should encourage venomous snakes in populated areas, but the harmless ones should be protected. The have an important niche in the ecology. All life is interdependent, and if we destroy things needlessly, there are almost always negative consequences down the road, such as an increase in the rodent population, in this case. It's time for people to get their heads straight about snakes and quit reacting with primitive notions that have nothing to do with fact.
    Wow....you know I know what you're saying, but when your child has been bitten by one of these things, rattlesnake to be exact, you tend to grow to hate them.....and I will add that she was working on her bike with her dad when this happened, so there was no provocation.....

love your quilt....
    Last edited by labtechkty; 07-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Kitty

That's what I say:
    Quote Originally Posted by jme View Post
    The simplicity makes it beautiful! I love the fabric and I love the scrappy look. I don't love the snake! The nerve, LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
    Beautiful quilt fabrics and design. She is going to love it. It has an old fashion quality about it that is so comforting and sweet.

The snake....well, I would have been very unhappy to see a snake in the pool and since my husband would not have gone out there to get it either, I would have to call animal control to get it out.
    she has a husband just like mine, he can handel anything cept snakes.
    candicane(kinda lkie erica cane but not original

Love the quilt. I never really thought of using large pieces like from a layer cake and sewing them together like you did. I have a couple of layer cakes and this may be an easy way to get a couple of quilts done.

I know some snakes are helpful but since a snake killed my dog when we lived in Oklahoma I don't t like them at all......
    Jojos Nana, Carol

Love the quilt and the snake! I have always been fascinated by them. Now spiders, well that is a different story. I recognize their usefulness and all, just not at my house, please!

Blog Entries
    Love quilt HATE SNAKES!!!! We just killed a 22" copperhead after church tonite. Did I say I HATE SNAKES?

Oooo, I scared of snakes but love quilts!!!

Love your quilt, especially the simplicity of it and the colors. As for the other pic, I recognize that snakes are beneficial but not in my immediate space. If it wriggles, I'm outta there, fast!
    Prettip

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Hey it's hot out there, that snake was just cooling off! great quilt!!! for a minute i thought he was going to be on your quilt!
    I know... I didn't know what to expect when I saw the subject line either! The quilt is awesome... I love Kansas Troubles anyway (being a little girl from KS my own self) & can't wait to see your next KT projects (I have a whole big tote stuffed with KT fabrics that I'm looking for inspiration for). Your son's GF is going to love this... so comfy & cozy-looking.

The snake? Yes, I know their one of God's creatures, too. And I'm sure he was harmless. But, it's like my dad used to say... he won't hurt you but he'll make you hurt yourself! LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    Your quilt looks gorgeous! I love the colors!
    Not so keen on the snake!

Blog Entries
    Very nice quilt and the snake looks harmless. I'm known as the snake lady...if there is one to be found, I'll find it. I've found two in the house (rat snakes) and several in the yard. When we lived in Ft. Lauderdale, I found snake eggs, mating snakes in the yard, etc.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast