Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt with a story >

Quilt with a story

Quilt with a story

Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Default Quilt with a story

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613737[/ATTACH]This quilt is called Magic Carpet Ride which is from a kit from several years ago. How it came to me is a story. I became acquainted with a woman through Words with Friends. We have never met, but, we talked a bit through the chat function and then became Facebook Friends. Last year her mother passed and she found this half assembled kit in her mother's things and asked me did I want it, or she would throw it out. I just couldn't bear that, and she sent it. It was a mess. Some of the strips were torn, some were cut, most of them had the dreaded "v" in the middle, some were machine sewn, some were hand sewn. Nothing was good. I took it all apart, trimmed up what I could and gave it my best shot. It has taken a long time. My two quilting groups are very used to seeing it, and will be happy to see it done. If you zoom in on the picture you can see how wonky it really is, but, it is finished! I kept thinking when I finished it, to offer it back to her, even though she said she wanted no part of it. So, now it is done and I sent her a picture, and yay, she does want it back! She now has a baby granddaughter and I think it would be perfect for her. The backing is yellow. I machine quilted it with a meander and I did three different things in the borders. I used serger thread and first time using two different colors, pink on top, yellow on bottom, and forgot to lower the feed dogs, and didn't change the tension and for some reason it was perfect, no thread issues at all. I used my Brother PQ1500 with a 90/14 top stitch needle.
Attached Thumbnails img_1433.jpg  
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM

What a beautiful quilt with such a heartwarming quilter's story! I love to hear about these unique quilt journeys especially, after so much effort was taken to restore it and then the quilt makes a full circle back to it's rightful family - several generations down! You have a true quilters heart - thank you for sharing and I'm certain her granddaughter will greatly appreciate your gift
Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 AM

What a great quilt and even better story!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

​Cute quilt and of course she wants it back now!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Love your quilt and the quilt too. Please write down your memories of making the quilt. The grand daughter will enjoy the story as she gets older.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't look wonky at all. Very nice work and I'm sure she is happy to get it and you are happy that some use will come of it too. Good work. and i've done FMQing with feed dogs up in a class. no problems.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Looks like a beautiful quilt for a little girl! Thanks for helping that child inherit something from her great-grandmother...and you!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Wonderful ending to a great story! Wow! I hope Granny and Mom tell her about the history of her beautiful baby quilt when she is old enough to appreciate it. I'm sure it will be treasured! You did good!!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM

What a heartwarming story. You must feel that your connection through Words with Friends was "meant to be"--and you have closed the loop from great-grandmother to great-grandchild. Truly a labor of love. The quilt is so cheery with a timeless pattern to boot!
Old 06-11-2019, 01:20 PM

What a kind thoughtful thing to do!! You are a very sweet friend!! And the quilt is truly beautiful!! Great job!!