Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
quilt as u go >

quilt as u go

quilt as u go

Old 04-22-2007, 05:44 PM

Patrice, this is the quilt I am trying to quilt in sections. I love to design quilts, but it doesn't mean I will know how to quilt it. Thats one of the things I dont like about EQ5, it doesnt tell you how to quilt it once you design it.

Well I guess as a beginner I shouldn't design something that is beyond my capabilities as a quilter, but I cant help myself, it is so much fun.

Well I will show you what I decide to do. wish me luck
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66101.jpe  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

i love that design. it looks like an excellent quilt for somebody who thinks of herself as a beginner. each element is fairly simple, but put together the overall look is complex. the hard part for me would be deciding how to divide it up for quilting.

that's going to be a huge ego boost when it's done. AND you will no longer be allowed to call yourself a beginner.
:P

i'd stitch in the ditch around the stars and other special elements to make the pattern pop. then stipple the squares.

ok. back up. let me be honest. i'd stitch in the ditch and attempt the stippling. i have yet to work up the courage to try freemotion quilting. one of the things i like best about QAYG is that i can machine quilt some fairly complicated motifs without having to suffer the challeng of freemotion. some day, though ... some day ...
Old 04-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Beautiful design, maybe try some trapunto on the blue paisley parts. You could of course stitch in the ditch around your stars. The floral one looks like an easy tiny leaf stippling would be great if your embroidery machine has that stitch.
Attached Thumbnails roses-dale.jpg  
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 AM

Donnalou, I guess you missed the part about I am a beginner. trapunto, yeah right. I have problems sewing a straight seam. thanks for the suggestion though. maybe in a couple of years I will try it. lol
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 AM

I am struggling with how to divide it up now, as soon as I conquer matching the seams up properly. my problem is when I cut out the templates they are never the same when I go to sew them together. I have been thinking that it might be because I use paper templates printed out from the program and use scissors to cut them out.

In the future, I think I will make templates out of something more sustantial.

I was thinking of outline quilting the star points and maybe do a pattern in the some of the blocks and some stippling in other blocks.

I tried stippling on the baby quilt I just completed and it didnt come out half bad. Some of the stitches were different sizes, but not too noticeable. I understand practice makes perfect.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159147.jpe  
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 AM

I love your design. I also have EQ5 have design a few but haven't attempted to do any of the yet. Good luck I know it will come out great
Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM

thanks, am trying to figure out how to section it to quilt in sections.

I like EQ5 for the designing, but it has a lot of bugs
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM

This is a picture of where I am at . I am not sure if I should go straight up the middle, or do the entire center.
If I go up the middle, I will have to match points.
What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56827.jpe  
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

patience, Grasshopper. the wheels are turnin'

:wink:

Attached Thumbnails attachment-72454.jpe   attachment-72455.jpe   attachment-72456.jpe  
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Looks great so far never tried quilt as you go so not sure how it works. I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions soon