Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt as you go quilt >

Quilt as you go quilt

Quilt as you go quilt

Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
MTS
Banned

Your quilt is lovely.

I've done a dozen QAYG quilts, using many different techniques.

But I'm trying to figure out your particular method of QAYG.

Am I right that you took the backing fabric and brought it to the front to make those nice little borders/bindings around each square on the front?

And then ....how did you join those squares? ZigZag them? I can't get see the detail.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Oh I love this quilt just the way it is, it kinda matches your camel....:)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful! It is a lovely reversible quilt :D:D:D
Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Great job, anything with batiks looks good.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM

It is a beautiful quilt! I like the idea that it could be reversible too as the back is as gorgeous as the front!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay
This is the 2nd quilt I've looked at of yours that you said you prefer the back! I think you are much too hard on yourself- they are both really pretty!
:-D Thanks for the kind words, promise its just these two quilts.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Your quilt is lovely.

Am I right that you took the backing fabric and brought it to the front to make those nice little borders/bindings around each square on the front?

And then ....how did you join those squares? ZigZag them? I can't get see the detail.
Hello, yes I brought the backing fabric to the front and then just turned it under and sewing along the edges. I found this extremely difficult and I fought with the pins. My hands and arms looked like they had been in a cat fight. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
The colors you chose may not cause the blocks to "pop" but they certainly create some unique color trends and flows. I think it's absolutely beautiful. Not everything needs to pop, sometimes quiet beauty is better.

Have you ever seen sisters--one strikingly beautiful and the other very pretty in a classic sort of way but not striking? Ever see them when they age? The striking beauty fades but the classic beauty remains beautiful forever.
Very good words regarding sisters - will keep this in mind.

Thanks so much
Old 12-16-2010, 04:35 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by sharone
Originally Posted by MTS
Your quilt is lovely.

Hello, yes I brought the backing fabric to the front and then just turned it under and sewing along the edges. I found this extremely difficult and I fought with the pins. My hands and arms looked like they had been in a cat fight. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this.
I'm sure it was a pain, but it gives it a very nice, and unique effect. I've got half a dozen QAYG methods in my toolbox, but I haven't seen this before, and I'm really intrigued.

If you don't mind, here are another couple of questions:

Typically, before joining the quilted blocks they are trimmed down to size. I always start out with oversized blocks. I don't see how you could have done this. So I'm guessing you had to be pretty accurate when adding the strips, right?

How did you join the blocks? Did you zig-zag through the little bindings on each block? Did you slip-stitch it by hand?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by sharone
Originally Posted by MTS
Your quilt is lovely.

I'm sure it was a pain, but it gives it a very nice, and unique effect. I've got half a dozen QAYG methods in my toolbox, but I haven't seen this before, and I'm really intrigued.

If you don't mind, here are another couple of questions:

Typically, before joining the quilted blocks they are trimmed down to size. I always start out with oversized blocks. I don't see how you could have done this. So I'm guessing you had to be pretty accurate when adding the strips, right?

How did you join the blocks? Did you zig-zag through the little bindings on each block? Did you slip-stitch it by hand?

Thanks.
Don't mind answering your questions at all!

Yes, I had to be very accurate when joining the strips. I used a paper template for the middle block and then used a 1/4 seam for the rest of the strips.

I have typed the instructions on joining the blocks - hope this helps

"To join two blocks, place them backing sides together. Pin along the stitiching line as shown, placing the blocks together so the batting edges match. make sure that the batting on both blocks will not be caught in the stitching line. Stitch entire length of backing fabric, close to the edge of the batting. The stitching line should "snug up" to the batting so that the finished quilt will hang like one continuous piece of batting. Changing your presser foot to an open-toe applique or zipper foot may make this easier to stitch.

Sashing:

Press seam allowances open. Fo form sashing pieces, turn under each raw edge to the stitching line. Pin the folded edge in place. Topstitch the folded edge on both sides of seam, using an open-toe, applique or walking foot. Stitching could also be done with a blanket, feather, or invisible stitch".

Hope this helps!!

Failing this the pattern is available from Prairie Sky Quilting. Pattern is called Woven Wonder Quilt.

http://www.prairieskyquilting.com/fun_n_done_main.htm

Happy Quilting
Sharon