Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: quilted placemats with serged edge

  1. #1
    stay-at-home's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    try again to post these :x This is the placemat set I made for my friend who has a round top glass table. They are all reversable. I mostly used fabrics from Mardi's stash. Thanks Mardi, I am having a ball with your stash. The edge is serged with Pearl Crown Rayon. I find it an easy way to finish off the edge and it looks neat. faster than binding it although not as handmade looking. Depends on what look you want.

    placemats
    Name:  Attachment-8708.jpe
Views: 90
Size:  105.1 KB

    another view
    Name:  Attachment-8910.jpe
Views: 91
Size:  93.0 KB

  2. #2
    lin
    lin is offline
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,053
    Wow, what a gorgeous set!! And I think the serger gave it a nice, clean edge. Loooove the fabrics.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Roben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW IA
    Posts
    900
    What an awesome set! I'm going to have to look into that Pearl Crown Rayon. Great Job!

  4. #4
    Super Member Lucky Patsy's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,253
    Aren't you clever! That is fabulous!

  5. #5
    Izy
    Izy is offline
    Super Member Izy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Halifax, W. Yorks, U.K.
    Posts
    5,996
    That set is absolutely fantastic - just love all of it :D

  6. #6
    Super Member Quilting Aggi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,609
    ooh I love them!! they are beautiful!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,907
    Oh goodie goodie. I am just learning my serger, please tell me what stitch you did for those. I could realy use your help!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    169
    Very nice and thoughtful gift!

  9. #9
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    Very nice set. More ideas for me.

  10. #10
    Super Member twistedstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,024
    Those are lovely! I have a round glass top table as well and would love to know if you had a pattern for the table center or did you make your own?

  11. #11
    stay-at-home's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaRae
    Oh goodie goodie. I am just learning my serger, please tell me what stitch you did for those. I could realy use your help!
    it's the 3 thread overlock with the right hand needle. pearl crown in the upper and lower loopers, regular thread in the needle.
    have fun! Threading the serger is duanting at first but you get used to it. Singer has a good serger book with pictures of the tension problems so you can compare and figure out what tension to change. this is the hardest part of using a serger - conquering the tension. (I mean on the serger - your own is another story!)

  12. #12
    stay-at-home's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    Those are lovely! I have a round glass top table as well and would love to know if you had a pattern for the table center or did you make your own?
    Hi twisted, I just made my own pattern out of newspaper. the table is 5 feet diameter so made it to fit the table top. Start with an octagon in the center.

  13. #13
    Super Member twistedstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,024
    Ok, thanks for the information! It's a great idea, I love the shape!

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,907
    Quote Originally Posted by stay-at-home
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaRae
    Oh goodie goodie. I am just learning my serger, please tell me what stitch you did for those. I could realy use your help!
    it's the 3 thread overlock with the right hand needle. pearl crown in the upper and lower loopers, regular thread in the needle.
    have fun! Threading the serger is duanting at first but you get used to it. Singer has a good serger book with pictures of the tension problems so you can compare and figure out what tension to change. this is the hardest part of using a serger - conquering the tension. (I mean on the serger - your own is another story!)
    Thanks lots! Yeah I have the threading down pat. But I have not worked a lot on sewing with the serger yet so thanks for the heads up on the tension. At least when I have problems I will know it is normal. I really like the edges on the table stuff you did, so I am going to give it a try. Again Thanks!

  15. #15
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    That's really nice!

  16. #16
    Super Member sewmuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,562
    VERY NICE SET, LUCKY FRIEND TO GET THEM :thumbup:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.