Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilted with Sashiko Machine

Blog Entries

Quilted with Sashiko Machine

I found a cheater clothe on clearance with tiny quilt blocks, that I cut into little squares and made into simple nine-patches. I boarded and backed it and bound it with nursery fabric given to me 2 years ago that must have been from the 1960's. Gosh it was ugly.... But the fun part was adding straight line quilting with 30wt thread from my new babylock sashiko machine I bought at the end of February. Pictures show the front (where it skips a stitch) and the back (where it is regular machine stitch...that I wish I had played with the tension more). I'll get better at it with practice.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Pretty. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

QM
    Very attractive

Darling quilt.

Blog Entries
    looks great
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Great job, I'm hoping in the next month to start using my machine. I bought it and then had a really rough year that I'm slowly getting over and I'm adding things to my list of things to do slowly. The other is my felting machine that I bought at the same time. I have several quilt tops that I want to do with the Sashiko, I haven't been able to get back into quilting yet but did get back into garment making and learning so much.
    Judy

that is really neat, can you make the stitches shorter? It would really look like nice hand quilting if the stitches were shorter.I love sashiko on dark solids, can't wait to see what else you do.

Wow love it! Never heard of a sashiko machine is it a full size sewing machine? And i love the nursery fabric

Great idea and good use of the fabric. I like the big stitches.

It is very pretty!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    that is really neat, can you make the stitches shorter? It would really look like nice hand quilting if the stitches were shorter.I love sashiko on dark solids, can't wait to see what else you do.
    yes, my setting was 4 and 4. You can choose the stitch length, and the space length separately. A setting of 1 and 1 would be much smaller. Plus I chose the heaviest thread (30 wt), a much finer thread, with a short setting would make it closer to hand stitching. I wanted the pearl cotton big stitch look and was sorry I didn't choose dark brown thread.....but then I should have chosen a darker backing. This is all new to me, and I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks for asking....the questions are getting my brain to whirling.....yeah.....

Very nice and really love the big stitches. Love your creative idea of cutting up the cheater cloth and reforming it into a cute quilt.

Blog Entries
    it looks like a lot of work, till you get closer. great job. the backing looks perfect for it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I love your quilt and the border too. but then, i love fabric with stars!!

Power Poster
    very nice!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soozieQ View Post
    Wow love it! Never heard of a sashiko machine is it a full size sewing machine? And i love the nursery fabric
    Yes, and it has a bigger throat than a regular sewing machine. Here is a picture:
    http://babylock.com/sewing/sashiko2/

looks lovely
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

That's really cool!!

Very pretty.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    there are lots of you tubes on this machine. the other nice thing is that each stitch is tied off and independent of each other. so if you are quilting a quilt with appliques on it, when you get to the applique and don't want to quilt on it, you don't have to tie off, you just move your fabric to the other side of the applique and continue on. When you are done you can turn the quilt over to the back and trim off the thread where you jumped over the applique and none of the stitches will come undone. this machine may only do one stitch but you can do plenty with this one stitch, you'd be amazed.
    Judy

Love the look of longer stitches.

I am totally OBSESSED with the Sashiko machine! Got a chance to use one at a class/demo a few months ago and have literally been thinking about it ever since. I just can't seem to bring myself to actually BUY it. If they would just reduce it to the $1,000 price range I'd go for it in a heartbeat!

Awesome quilt! I have seen those machines different times on quilt shows & I guess never really understood what they were all about. Then I started learning more about them & they are so cool. Have fun with your new machine & please keep posting your work as you learn on it. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    I am totally OBSESSED with the Sashiko machine! Got a chance to use one at a class/demo a few months ago and have literally been thinking about it ever since. I just can't seem to bring myself to actually BUY it. If they would just reduce it to the $1,000 price range I'd go for it in a heartbeat!
    That is what got me to purchase it. The machine is on sale this month for $1449 and the babylock dealer gave me 5% off that for paying cash. I haven't bought a new machine since 1980. They just last and last.

Great quilt--I have a Sashiko machine also and love the stitch it does on the front.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast