Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilting suggestions needed, Please!!! >

Quilting suggestions needed, Please!!!

Quilting suggestions needed, Please!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 AM

Beautiful quilt!! What's the name of the pattern??
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 AM

I think your idea of turning them into flowers is very logical.
The squiggly lines along the "ditch" is easier than trying to make a perfectly straight line (ask me how I know <g>) and, your flowers/petals will lead you to more adventurous quilting. You have no place to go but up from here on out! Beautiful quilt, beautiful colors, good work and a plan.... life doesn't get much better than that, does it? :D
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Sorry no help for the quilting... BUT LOVE the actual quilt :lol:
Sharon
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Gayle, What a pretty quilt. If your machine does decorative stitches select a wide one and use either a varigated or shiny decorative thread to quilt in the ditch. It will also dress up the back if it is a solid color. You could just quilt on the vertical and then the horizontial lines or you could do both and one vertical through the middle of each block.

The floral fabric is so lovely that a flower shape, while a great idea wouldn't show up all that well.
One other thing you might do is "couch" colorful fuzzy yarn into some of your quilting lines. I love the unusual yarns they sell now but don't do much crocheting anymore. I will buy one ball of the fancy yarn and crochet it into a single chain. I then couch it on things I want to embellish.
To couch all you have to do is lay the yarn or chain along the seamline you are going to quilt and sew with your decorative stitch or zig zag over top of it. Be sure to catch the yarn in the stitching, as often as possible. It is also a good way to hide points that didn't come out just right.
It is going to be a lovely quilt.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
The name of the pattern is "Radio Flyer" It's from "Miss Rosie's quilt collection" by Carrie Nelson.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
The name of the pattern is "Radio Flyer" It's from "Miss Rosie's quilt collection" by Carrie Nelson.

Thanks!! I not only found the pattern, but also her book that has several other neat patterns in it! :-)
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KGoodhand
I love the idea of making it look like flowers! I think it would look great! As for the squiggly(sp?) lines for in the 'ditch', that sounds neat too! I had never thought that you could use something other then straight lines in the ditch! Thank you for the great idea too!
Don't forget to show us the finished product!
Kendra
From a distance kind of looks like a pinwheel/flower design to me, so thinking some st in ditch, and a simple (?) outline of a flower every so many inches, all over? It would require turning it though. Since I am in the process of pinning and basting a full size right now, and pooped, I say, whatever comes easiest for you, it's beautiful already. I love the fabrics. :D
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM

I pressed the whole thing last night and decided that I didn't feel well enough to start the quilting on it. Have a cold or something, I think it is the same virus that hit me 2 weeks ago just coming back for an encore. Maybe I will start on it tonight, maybe not, I might be too wiped out by the time I get home from work. Any other suggestions or comments?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

lol...not funny, Gayle...take some pain reducer, chicken soup and rest. think about quilt later...obviously your immune system needs some tlc first. feel better, we'll talk quilt later. and spray with lysol, doc says, you can re-infect yourself in your own house. take care. :)
Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 AM

Gayle, what a beautiful quilt!!!
I liked Mpspeedy's idea of using the variegated thread with your squigglies in the ditch! Whatever you do, it's going to be beautiful!! :-)