Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts and Reconciliation >

Quilts and Reconciliation

Quilts and Reconciliation

Old 04-01-2024, 02:52 PM

Default Quilts and Reconciliation

Ground penetrating radar searches will begin this summer at the site of the local previous residential school. This is a difficult time for survivors and their families. The local bands are planning a ceremony to mark the beginning of the search for unmarked graves and as part of the ceremony they will wrap everyone who attended the school with a quilt. The local guild has been busy making quilts for them. This is my top.

This is separate from the Quilts for Survivors which is a Canada-wide initiative from which quilts are provided.

I think that pouring ourselves into quilts for our local residential school survivors is truly an act of reconciliation.
Attached Thumbnails img_2959.jpeg  
Old 04-01-2024, 03:23 PM

Nice job on your design, so many sad causes to quilt for. Hopefully making these will help everyone in your community.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:16 AM

Beautiful quilt! I love the scene you had chosen and someone is going to cherish that quilt. Nicely done!
Old 04-02-2024, 04:45 AM

Great Job!! It is a well-done piece of art!
Old 04-02-2024, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Could you explain the event you are talking about? Was it an earthquake, and if so, where?
Old 04-02-2024, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Could you explain the event you are talking about? Was it an earthquake, and if so, where?
Sewbizgirl, what b.zang is referring to is the fact that there have been hundreds of graves found at many residential school sites across Canada and there are continuing efforts to try to find closure and peace for survivors by discovering the resting places of so many Indigenous children who never came home from the schools they were forced to attend. :-(

b.zang - a beautiful quilt. <3
Old 04-02-2024, 08:26 AM

Gorgeous quilt, b zang. I admire your effort to use your quilting skills toward reconciliation. It is much needed. You have inspired me to expand my donation efforts and find a similar outlet in my area. Thank you and kudos to you!
Old 04-02-2024, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Gorgeous quilt, b zang. I admire your effort to use your quilting skills toward reconciliation. It is much needed. You have inspired me to expand my donation efforts and find a similar outlet in my area. Thank you and kudos to you!
JanieW - if you are on Facebook, look up and join the quilts for survivors group. People post when they receive their quilts and the gratitude is heartfelt. I have read some amazing stories of how the quilt a person received fits into their personal interests and stories that almost makes me wonder sometimes in how these come together. I've certainly had a fire lit within me to make me want to help everyone who wants a quilt receive one that is worthy of them.

Check out the quilts for survivors website as well. They are based in Ontario but reach across the country. https://www.quiltsforsurvivors.ca/
Old 04-02-2024, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Sewbizgirl, what b.zang is referring to is the fact that there have been hundreds of graves found at many residential school sites across Canada and there are continuing efforts to try to find closure and peace for survivors by discovering the resting places of so many Indigenous children who never came home from the schools they were forced to attend. :-(

b.zang - a beautiful quilt. <3
Thank you for the explanation. I was also scratching my head.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:28 AM

Thank you for providing another way of healing for the survivors and their families.