Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilts

Both are fantastic!! :D

I love your patriotic quilt. The flag fabric is busy but when you put the simple blocks in the middle it mellows it out to a perfect blend. I have the flag fabric.. and I have been scared to use it. Now I see if its not the center stage its not too bad at all. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkie
    These are two quilts I have recently finished. The first is for the local high school. The seniors are raising money to take some WWII veterans to Washington DC on the Honor Flight Program. I took the picture of the quilt before I had attached the binding.I made this quilt and donated to their cause.
    Yorkie - is that the program started by the Wiseley's in Dexter?
    I am not sure where the program originated. This is the second year out high school has participated. There are only 40 students in the whole high school and we are taking 6 seniors and 6 veterans. The students who participated last year were overwhelmed. It is a tremendous program. The best 2 day course in patriotism that has ever been invented.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    These are two quilts I have recently finished. The first is for the local high school. The seniors are raising money to take some WWII veterans to Washington DC on the Honor Flight Program. I took the picture of the quilt before I had attached the binding.I made this quilt and donated to their cause.
    Yorkie - is that the program started by the Wiseley's in Dexter?
    I am not sure where the program originated. This is the second year our high school has participated. There are only 40 students in the whole high school and we are taking 6 seniors and 6 veterans. The students who participated last year were overwhelmed. It is a tremendous program. The best 2 day course in patriotism that has ever been invented.
    We have a group here in Dexter, MI that do this and the Vet's are actually transported on war planes out of the Yankee Air Force Museum in Ypsilanti, MI. to Washington DC. Some of the vets they have taken actually flew similar planes in the war. It was very heart touching for them to be in that plane again. It is overwhelming and sometimes heartbreaking to watch. The memories and emotions that this event stirs for the vets. All I can say is, WOW. Thank you for making the quilt for their program. This is very near and dear to my heart. Do they do this every year?

They are both beautiful, but I LOVE the first one.

Our school has only done this program for two years. It is fairly new to Kansas. The kids act as chaperones for the adults, they carry suitcases, push wheelchairs, get drinks provide any services the veterans need. The Veterans, kids and teachers fly commercial, stay at a local dc motel, and then tour the memorials. The trip lasts a long weekend. Most of the veterans would never be able to do a trip like this without the kids to help them. The friendships formed between the kids and the veterans are incredible, plus the kids get first hand storied of what it was like to serve in WWII. What a great lesson in patriotism.

Blog Entries
    Both of your quilts are beautiful!! How very sweet of you to donate the patriotic quilt for such a wonderful cause. It is so good to see the older and younger generation interacting together in such a hartwarming way :-D
    The kids will have memories to last a lifetime and this may be the last memory the Vets experience.

Both are great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2