Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilts of Valor

Quilts of Valor

I am an active member of the Nevada Quilts of Valor. We have been asked to make the quilts for the Honor Flight-this is a flight of WWII Veterans that will be flown to Washington DC to the WWII Memorial. When they return on the flight here in Las Vegas we will be greeting them with a quilt for each member of the flight (about 35 of them). The flight will be in March. Each of the quilts will be a lap top as most of the WWII Veterans are in wheelchairs.

In order to get the quilts done a little quicker I came up with a plan. And it is working great, the Longarmers love the idea and our coordinator is ecstatic.

I took 4 of the laptops and put them together into one King quilt top. Once it is quilted I just cut them up into 4 quilts and bind them.

This is one of the quilt tops that I have made entirely. I have done 4 king quilts at this time. That is 16 lap quilts.

Each quilt is different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is Great and then I have to go to WORK.
    Jarenie

Beautiful! I love these honor flights. Wish my Dad could have still been alive to go. He donated to the Memorial but never got up to D.C. to see it. Wonderful that we're showing these veterans the honor and gratitude they deserve.

Power Poster
    beautiful such a wonerful cause!!!
    QUILTNMO

The quilts are stunningly beautiful, and how wonderful that you are turning them out so quickly, your method is awesome. I plan to make my first Quilt of Valor this year, I learned about them on a sewing show last fall.

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a way to do them. Aren't you smart? Great idea.

Blog Entries
    What a fantastic idea! I will pass this on to our guild's charity and quilt of valor groups.

Blog Entries
    they look good and your idea is great
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Great idea for some great quilts for a great cause!!! This would also be a good method for baby quilts for charity causes. Thanks.

What a great idea! They are all beautiful and will b loved I am sure!

Jarenie, our local quilt guild has made lap quilts for the Honor flights in central Missouri for several years now. What a great idea to long arm 4 at once, although we have members who enjoy quilting them on the DSM because of their size. It is a great service project, and thanks for sharing your photos and quilting tips.

Linda in MO

beautiful quilts ... love your idea of having the 4 quilts as one for the longarmer to quilt. So clever! Thank you for your great work in honoring our veterans.
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    Those Vets so deserve them plus so much more. Thank you for those ladies that do quilts of Valor. You've done a beautiful job!

Beautiful quilt for a wonderful cause!!!!

That is beautiful. Here is one I made for a soldier a long time ago. When I retire (if ever) I would like to start making them for Quilts of Valor. Love our military.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love your idea for quilting 4 lap quilts at once! And thank you for honoring our veterans. There aren't many WWII vets left-- fewer every year, it seems. The last of the native "Wind Talkers" has died, too. Such great men-- truly the greatest generation!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    Great idea for some great quilts for a great cause!!! This would also be a good method for baby quilts for charity causes. Thanks.
    I used to do just what you said with baby quilts, when I sent them out for panto quilting. 4 baby tops made a double/queen size top, so very easy to have them quilted.

Power Poster
    What an unusual solution to making many quilts at once. You are doing a beautiful thing by making these quilts, as our veterans deserve to be honored.

That's a great idea! I have 2 QOV right now, but they are different shapes. One is from QOV and one is a round robin that I am donating. I will have to try that later.

What a great idea you came up with! Bless all of you for what you do!

Sew clever of you, great that you are doing this for our wonderful vets!! Sadly my father passed away before he could take the flight. He would have dearly loved to have taken that flight!!!!

That looks great...thanks for your hard work. I know how much the veterans appreciate the quilts...as I do Quilts of Valor also.

Great idea and great quilts! Thank you for doing these!

My Dad got to go last year. He is not in a wheelchair, we are so grateful and lucky he is still healthy but does have a bit of shuffle in is walking BUT he is 97! He was a fighter pilot during the war.
    What a great idea for your lap tops to do them 4 at a time. I have done something similar when I had several baby quilts, but I did them one after the other and just sewed the backings together. I like your idea better because you can quilt more before having to advance the quilt. Thanks for sharing, I learn so much from this board, thanks to quilters like you who post these great ideas. Thanks again and thanks for your work with QOV. I started another QOV today.

Wow! This is awesome!!! I am so excited for the vets, they are so deserving...brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.

What a great idea! The quilts are beautiful and for such a worthy cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast