Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts on the Wharf - My First Quilt Show >

Quilts on the Wharf - My First Quilt Show

Quilts on the Wharf - My First Quilt Show

Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Is there a back story behind doing this? Many of the quilts seem to have a theme for illness ribbons. Did you want to raise awareness or fund raise for a cause? I am also curious about the color a heart thing you pictured. Did you ask attendees to color with fabric markers and you plan on making a quilt of this? Thanks.
Since I started quilting 30 years ago I have thought about holding my own show. I have helped organise a few large quilt shows but it wasn't until I saw that inspirational saying here on QB that I really started to think it could happen. So I got the wheels in motion around the time I started making some black/white/red quilts and thought I would base the quilt show around the 'It's Not All Black and White' theme - showcasing b/w/r quilts and having a 'gentle dig' at all the negative quilting people/groups/guilds I ditched from my life 5 years ago as I was on the brink of giving up quilting. Then I found QB, starting quilting 'my way' and the quilts on display are the result of the last few years of having loads of fun while making quilts.

The Hope Quilt and Awareness Ribbons quilt I made as a tribute to seeing my sister go through Breast Cancer last year and surviving it. These two quilts will be donated to the local Cancer Council. I raised over $700 for two local charities from the gold coin entry donations and proceeds from the raffle quilt. The show was staged to show the public how much I love quilting and to raise awareness of quilting, not to make myself money.

The Colour A Heart quilt will be made into a quilt. I will be outlining the coloured hearts and the two hands will be strip pieced and appliqued in place between the hearts. The quilt will then be quilted and raffled later in the year.

The 'Guest Book' Quilt came about because I had always wanted to do a 'filmstrip' type quilt so I drew up the pattern to foundation piece and then decided to make it so viewers of my quilts could add their comments. Yesterday I sat down and really read all the nice comments and it brought a tear to my eyes....although one quilting friend had written 'now stop mucking around and start making quilts' LOL

I hope this explains your questions. Thank you so much everyone for the lovely comments about my quilts. I loved sharing them with you.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:01 PM

Wow. Love your quilts and what a great idea.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM

I too, am awed and amazed by your wonderful quilting. I find your sense of humor so delightful; what a joy to see your many fun quilts.
I am totally humbled that it was my comment that set you on the path to your quilt show, and hope you have many more in your future.
Just to fill in a bit on that, the comment was part of the label on the quilt I made for my daughter. The name of the quilt is Just Imagine, and I said on the label, "If you can imagine it, you can make it happen." She has been struggling thru some very difficult times in her life and I wanted to be supportive and inspirational for her while giving her a quilt she would love. She chose the pattern and the colors and I chose the fabrics.
The pattern was something I had never attempted and it intimidated me, but I did it for her. So I made the quilt happen by imagining I could do it, and you made the show happen the same way!!!
Giant hugs and smiles and congrats on your wonderful quilting and show!!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:17 PM

In total AWE Those are just amazing.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

great quilts love the quilt police one thanks for sharing maureen!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Oh Lynn, this is phenomenal. Congratulations on a spectacular show. And yes I saw it among the doll swap quilts. And am so tickled to have your doll quilt hanging in my angel room. It has the softest feel with the wool batting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]467735[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001-4-.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I am totally humbled that it was my comment that set you on the path to your quilt show, and hope you have many more in your future.
Just to fill in a bit on that, the comment was part of the label on the quilt I made for my daughter. The name of the quilt is Just Imagine, and I said on the label, "If you can imagine it, you can make it happen." She has been struggling thru some very difficult times in her life and I wanted to be supportive and inspirational for her while giving her a quilt she would love. . So I made the quilt happen by imagining I could do it, and you made the show happen the same way!!!
Giant hugs and smiles and congrats on your wonderful quilting and show!!!!
THANK YOU so much for sharing how the comment came to be....I made a little wallhanging (which was hanging with a note how it came to be) at the show and it now hangs in my sewing room to keep inspiring me.

I love coming into QB each day and meeting such wonderful and inspirational quilting friends.
Attached Thumbnails p5080103.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 04:31 PM

WOW,WOW,WOW I mean... really what else can I say. Great idea to do your own show.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM

What a lovely bunch of quilts. The one I would like the pattern for is the log cabin with different sized chimneys.

And we still haven't seen a picture of you. Or is that you sitting at the table outside?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 PM

What a wonderful show! I love the Quilt Police quilt. I am so glad you took the pictures and shared them with us!