Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Quilty Puppies and Shakespeare in the Park >

The Quilty Puppies and Shakespeare in the Park

The Quilty Puppies and Shakespeare in the Park

Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM

If I get all the cutting done today, I will be able to show some more blocks and some tips when putting the block together for those who need it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Default Shakespeare In the Park

Ok, I got a good start and some tips for the beginners. Remember, this particular block is made up of all bias tri's, except for the middle four patch. Care must be taken, centers have to be marked and when sewing the patches, put your entire hand on the block and push through the machine gently, so as not to stretch anything.

Here I have a bunch of patches cut. Cut the size strips, sub cut into the size squares and cut the squares in half and trim the points. I used the Judy Martin point trimmer. It makes life so easy. Your patches match up so perfectly.

After sewing the four patch together, I fold the tri's in half to get the center and line it up with the center of the four patch. Check to make sure that the point of the tri is also in line with the point of the four patch. Following are four pics. The patches, the trimmed points, centering the patch and checking the point on the four patch.
Attached Thumbnails cut-patches.jpg   trim-points.jpg   creasing-center.jpg   liningpoint.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM

After you have sewed the patches your block should look like this. See how it is nice and square and everything matches because you have taken care to mark your centers. If one side is a bit bigger than the other, rip it out and see what went wrong and redo.

After you have sewed all the patches on for the block, I personally do not trim, I block it. I spray starch it and pin onto my block pad where I have drawn my 12.5 square and I even use steam to block. I use an up and down motion, never slide the iron.

Here are 13 blocks, remember this is not the way it will set up. The star blocks will go between. Remember the original six blocks I made yesterday? I ripped of the last tri's and changed them to more flowery ones to create a more happy and light mood. Too much blue in those blocks made it seem too cold to me. Look at the block on right, the second one down, see that flowery arm, I love that.

The next three pics are of the block with the tri's matching to make the square, the blocking and then the 12 blocks on the board.
Attached Thumbnails matching-patches.jpg   pintoblock.jpg   13blocks2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Wow, they are beautiful!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM

that is going to be very pretty, the blues are lovely together.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM

I made a couple stars, one light one dark. Boy do I have to make a lot of stars for this quilt. I put some of the reels and the two stars to show how the set up will go.

The cream star with the dark background looks bigger than the blue star with the light background, this is a good example of light objects coming forward and dark ones receding.
Attached Thumbnails stars-blocks.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Love the stars! The more I see the more I'm wanting to make one! Very inspiring!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM

I am cutting six stars at a time as one star has 36 parts. It's not bad to chain piece six at a time, it goes fast. I have to pay attention when I put the star points on, as it's quite easy to put these on backwards lol. (did it). I have enough Reel blocks for a twin size, so I know I have to go back to do more of those.

For now, I think I will just do lots of stars. I know I will need at least 12 large stars more or less and lots of the little stars for the border. I am enjoying working on this quilt tho. I do some everyday.

If I manage to get up early, I can get a few done. I have to be dressed and ready to go to the Gym every day at 11.45. I joined the Gym in January and haven't missed a class except for the week I was sick. I go four times a week for 1 1/2 hours of work out with a group, called the Silver Sneakers and we have a wonderful instructor.

I had made up my mind that I was going to do this for myself to keep me fit and healthy. Everything has to wait until I get my time in at the Gym. I am in the active group, where we used the machines, then the work out room and then the spinning. I am feeling so much stronger already.

Silver Sneakers is free if you have medicare complete. You can go to any Gym of your choice for free. I am taking full advantage of it lol.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM

So while I took a break from the stars, I went and cooked up some potatoes and squash. Saute onions, throw in potatoes and then the squash, salt and pepper, cover and let steam. Then I cooked a piece of salmon and that was dinner.

I had two bananas and four apples. I chopped up the apples, mashed the bananas and combined the two, added one cup of oil, three eggs and two teas. of vanilla. Then in another bowl...three cups of flour, little salt 2 1/2 cups brown sugar, 2 teas. cinnamon, 2teas soda into that I folded in 3/4 cup sour cream.

Made a well in the center and added the other mix and added 1/2 c raisins and 1 c walnuts, bake at 350 until done.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

can't wait to see it done