Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • A Rats Nest?? >
  • A Rats Nest??

• A Rats Nest??

Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 AM

It makes me wonder what future generations will think of us when they purchase "vintage" machines.
    Old 05-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Thats what I found on my old machines too, but when my mother was teaching me how to sew, she told me to never do that because it could damage the bobbin (I don't remember why of course). But there were many occasions that she would only half fill the bobbin to finish, and then she would use the remaining thread to do the hemming etc. My mom had exactly 4 bobbins for her Kenmore, and G-D help the child who lost one of them, everything stopped until that bobbin was found!
    Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, we would find the bobbin with the smallest amount of thread, then wind the new color right on top of the old stuff. I think my mom had like 6 bobbins, and we sewed all the time.
    Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by QM
    It's not a good idea, but my very frugal mother did it. BTW, I don't even try to unwind them, I take an exacto knife to the whole mess.

I was taught to be very frugal with thread. My mother was of the Depression generation, raised by a mother who was the sole support of the family, (with a disabled husband). "Extra" thread was put aside for hand sewing. I buy most of my thread on large cones. Adjusting for inflation, my thread is much cheaper than theirs.

Remember, torn shirts became rags, or rugs. even very small scraps of fabric became quilts. don't judge these people harshly.
    a friend told me once that her mother had one needle to sew for their family throughout the entire WWII. No one was allowed to touch the needle. She hand made clothes for the family as well as mended with that needle. I think of that when I look at the assortment I have.

Anne was a beautiful seamstress making her own business suits and blouses after working all day. I asked her if her mother taught her to sew as a child. That is when she told me this story.
    Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by grammy17
    a friend told me once that her mother had one needle to sew for their family throughout the entire WWII. No one was allowed to touch the needle. She hand made clothes for the family as well as mended with that needle. I think of htat when I look at the assortment I have.
    Wow.