Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Really honest opinion?

I'm starting my patriotic quilt and I am still not sure about the center block. I had a teddy bear there that I wasn't totally sold on and I've replaced it with a vase and flowers.

Does it look out of place with the other elements?

I've looked at it so long and tried so many things that I can't see it objectively. The fabric between the red and blue strips around the center has a vase that looks very like it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Pam I like the way the flowers are a soft contrast to the sharp points and lines on the rest of the quilt. It makes it a good focal point and adds more texture to your quilt. I am glad you changed your mind on the bear, I think this is a much better choice.

I like this better too... but then I'm not really much of a teddy bear person.

Plus in keeping with the patriotic theme, the flowers are cascading down like fireworks!

Blog Entries
    I love it ! Looks GREAT
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    I do "LOVE" the basket of flowers.
    I am aure what ever you chose, that
    it would look wonderful!!
    :D :D :D :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    OK - you said honest so I will be! I love the vase and the rest of the quilt but not sure about the two together! So if I say NOT that, I have to come up with an alternative suggestion, right? Eagle? Or how about the Stars and Stripes in the middle too? Or is that too boring? (I do NOT mean that the Stars and Stripes is boring BTW!!!) I know I'm in the minority but I DID like the teddy bear! And I love that fabric in your second pic, what is it called?

I very much like the flowers, but if you're looking for symbolism, etc. You could put a tree, like a weeping willow in the center. Trees have always been a symbol of life. I also like the idea of an eagle. Oh...or perhaps a bell...like the liberty bell.

It looks amazing. Worry no more!

I really like how the vase looks; but I agree with Tippy, I think a weeping willow would be fantastic. Not sure if it is entirely and 'american symbol'; but all your quilts always turn out fabulous Pam.

Looks great!!!

Pam, I think it looks great and gives it the Baltimore Album effect. Many of the old Baltimore album quilts had a patriotic them. I love it.

whoops, I meant Theme.

Blog Entries
    It looks great. I'm thinking like shaverg---it does have that BA look. I'd leave it in.

ranger

Not a teddy bear person, either, like the flowers, first thought that popped into my head, was a farm pic or an old barn, don't know why.Maybe even an old church.

I like it with the flowers and vase -- adds a soft touch to the stars.

DJ
    I love it! I'd vote for the eagle in the center. Have you thought of putting any yellow ribbons on it?

It is a BA block from EQ. I thought of it because of the fabric, which is from the Coverlet II collection. BA is a very American design.

I like it because of the contrast of the curves and everything else is angular BUT, that's why I'm wondering if it isn't too much of a jarring note with the rest of it.

I've looked at eagles but I didn't quite like that either.

A tree might be interesting though it's still the same element of the curves.

Thank you for all your opinions. I'll leave it as I work on it and see how it starts to look in person too.

It might make a difference with the actual fabrics. There are a lot of curved designs in it like this and several circular ones. I'm thinking of using the corner blocks of this but in blue for the flower vase.

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    I personally like the flowers. LOOKING GREAT!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like the flowers idea,but not nuts about the vase...I think an Ohio Rose or a flower wreath would look pretty,but whatever you do will be great. You do beautiful work.

I like the flowers over the teddy, but if you are not sold yet why not try a flowery heart since it is in the heart of the quilt and your heart is obviously in this work.

The flowers are great in the quilt. I agree with Mamabird - does somewhat resemble fireworks!

Banned
    i like the idea of the tree if the fabric you have works with that design - otherwise i like the vase with the flowers.

My exact first thought was a house, but then I saw the houses on the four sides ... then, I thought waving flag and noticed the flags in each of the corners.
    Then, I thought: Eagle - - and kept reading and noted that you didn't like the eagles that were available to you.
    And, I read the post about the flowers looking like fireworks, and that was a dandy interpretation, but .... hmmmm...
    noted the posting about the liberty bell or the tree ... and thought: Tree of life! It is an old pattern, and usually seen on point, but you could set it straight up and down - - it is your quilt you can do whatever you want to do!
    The Baltimore album-type wreath is a viable competitor for the center of your quilt, but ...
    Bottom line? If I were to see the quilt you put on the design board and told me that this is the way it was going to be, I would say: okay! Lots of work and a nice bunch of pieceing and applique.
    You have good instincts ... and, what you have put there
    HEY! How about SUn bonnet sue and overall bill or Sam/whichever he may be ...
    I like all of the suggestions better than the bear, but I liked the bear because he was dressed up patriotically .... you could even have sue and/or Sam/Bill doing something like looking up at the fireworks or saluting the flag ... or ringing the liberty bell ....
    I am done thinking now ... I can hardly wait to see what you are going to do.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast