Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Recycling Blue Jeans....Again! >

Recycling Blue Jeans....Again!

Recycling Blue Jeans....Again!

Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM

AMAZING, u r an artist and your friend is lucky duck.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
You are a jeans genius!
You have a great grasp of colour and value to make that from reused fabric. How on earth did you sort it all out so well?!!
Thank you! First I cut the square sizes I needed (9-1/2", 6-1/2" & 3-1/2"), then I started the task of "this one is dark, this one is light, and this one is medium...hmmm...can't use the medium."
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
Best jeans quilts! Your pattern and color placement take these way beyond expectations of recycled jeans. What machine are you using to climb over those heavy denim seam intersections?
Thank you! Just my little ol' Pfaff 7570 - still works like a charm!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Susanb View Post
A really good friend had asked for a quilt for the back seat of her truck. I've been stalling for a couple of years because I wasn't sure what type of fabric or pattern to use since the quilt would be exposed to strong sunlight every day. I finally had the "AH HA!" moment, and thought of the used blue jeans I'd been collecting. I designed the Celtic pattern using directions from "Celtic Pieced Illusions" by Karen Combs. It was a little tough only using blue jeans to get the right combination of lights and darks, but I was pretty pleased with the results. So the 1st picture is the Celtic pattern quilt for my friend. The 2nd picture is the waste triangles left over from the Celtic pattern, plus a few more strips of blue jean leftovers. I just love recycling blue jeans! (Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm uploading the pictures correctly??)
What a pretty quilt......I love it and I am sure your friend will too.......
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Both wonderful! Are all the fabrics denim, or do you mix with regular quilt weight for the white and grey?
All the fabric was recycled blue jeans - donated by a number of family members and friends. If the right side of the denim was stained, I just used the wrong side (inside of the jeans). The color differences come from the different manufacturers, and how much the pants were worn...I think.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Wow...love them both! The top one is my favorite.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Qbird View Post
Some of us are wanting to know, what the white squares are, white jeans or new fabric? and were the seams pressed open or to one side? thanks
All the fabric is denim...some of it just looks white when it's next to the darker shades, but it truly is blue. Very light blue. I did press all the seams open, otherwise it was just too bulky. Hope this helps?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
Those are both so neat, how are they quilted? I have lots of denium scraps, but they make such a heavy quilt, I was wondering how it is quilted
Thank you! Because the denim is a heavy fabric, and I do put a layer of batting inside, I chose to tie these quilts. My friend absolutely loved her Celtic quilt and wasn't put off in the slightest with the weight - - it was heavy, but if your vehicle breaks down, this is the go-to quilt to keep warm!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mycatsmom View Post
Do you use a bigger seam allowance and do you press your seams open? I love both of them? I have wanted to make a jeans quilt but have never got around to it.
I stayed with the standard 1/4 inch seam allowance, but I do press the seams open. Thank you for your kind comments.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by charismah View Post
That's amazing! I think that is teh best jean quilt I have ever seen. Great use of color!
Wow! Thank you Charisma! That is high praise coming from someone as talented as you! I am continually amazed at your work, and always wish I was as gifted as you. Thank you!