Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Half Log Cabin Experiment

Red Half Log Cabin Experiment

Hello,
    I pieced this quilt last year, and finally finished quilting it in December. I had a private class with Karen McTavish and used this quilt to practice my feathers. It is queen size and pefect for my experiment. I also tried my hand at outlining by outlining each and every light/tan log...boy was that a LOT! I didn't have a straight ruler yet, but again, experiment. I think SID in the ditch would have been a much better choice. But, that is why I make quilts for myself so I can try out new things. I am also handstitching the binding to the back. My first time doing it by hand. Wow, those of you who do this by hand are VERY patient! LOL I have a little over one side done so far, but I glue basted so I can take my time. Also, I think I would have like it with wool or Quilter's Dream Poly Select, but at the time all I had was Warm n Natural. The feathers would have had more dimention.

But hey, that's what expirements are for. And I am very happy with all the info I learned doing it. Makes me better with every stitch. It is one of my favorite quilts, and I plan to make a smaller one with different colors.

Thank you for checking it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your quilt is stunning - the design, the fabric choices and the quilting. I can see why it is one of your favorites. I love it.

Forgot to mention that I made this using the book, Half Log Cabin Quilt by Sharyn Craig and Cozy Quilt Designs.

looks great. Envious of the private class ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Power Poster
    Wonderful quilt and quilting! A private class with Karen McTavish must have been great!

Karen is WONDERFUL! It was a big investment, but worth every penny and I would do it all again.

Blog Entries
    nice quilting......

WOW! It's that just a practice I can't wait to see one that's a gift! Way to go!!!!

I love it! Now I'm gonna have to make one!

wonderful quilt, love it.

Actually, the best poly to show dimension is Hobbs Poly down but I suspect Quilters Dream Puff would be very similar. I find the Quilters Dream select to not give much definition at all and in my experience it does not quilt up much different, loft wise, than cotton, I have not tried their Deluxe or the Dream Puff which is their highest loft. If you REALLY want to give dimension, use two layers of batting. Have one be a poofy higher loft like Hobbs polydown or wool. The other should be fairly flat, like W&N, Quilters Dream either select or request or their cotton. I have also done it with bamboo and 80/20 and I have seen Green Fairy do it with two layers of 80/20. It gives wonderful dimension. I call it faux trapunto.

So what did you think of Karen (besides "wonderful) LOL? I took a class with her two years ago at MQX. I found her to be so very funny, charming, caring of her students, endearing and a great teacher. That was in a class of about 20. I bet having 1 on 1 with her was pretty amazing, (and pretty expensive!!)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    WOW! It's that just a practice I can't wait to see one that's a gift! Way to go!!!!
    Thank you so much. I longarm quilt for hire and also make tshirt and memory quilts for people. Even though I do this for hire, I am still feel so humble when they say how much they love my work. There is no better feeling than giving someone their quilt and tears start. Always gets me all warm and fuzzy. I just LOVE what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Actually, the best poly to show dimension is Hobbs Poly down but I suspect Quilters Dream Puff would be very similar. I find the Quilters Dream select to not give much definition at all and in my experience it does not quilt up much different, loft wise, than cotton, I have not tried their Deluxe or the Dream Puff which is their highest loft. If you REALLY want to give dimension, use two layers of batting. Have one be a poofy higher loft like Hobbs polydown or wool. The other should be fairly flat, like W&N, Quilters Dream either select or request or their cotton. I have also done it with bamboo and 80/20 and I have seen Green Fairy do it with two layers of 80/20. It gives wonderful dimension. I call it faux trapunto.

So what did you think of Karen (besides "wonderful) LOL? I took a class with her two years ago at MQX. I found her to be so very funny, charming, caring of her students, endearing and a great teacher. That was in a class of about 20. I bet having 1 on 1 with her was pretty amazing, (and pretty expensive!!)
    She shares her art and secrets with heart. I always knew I quilt well, but she gave me the confidence I needed. She's just one of those people who aren't afraid to give, it was like spending the day with a friend. Also, she prefers the Quilter's Dream, I never liked poly before I tried hers, and so does another LA'er in my area who is a bit of a mentor for me. So it is easy for my to get since the one in my area also owns a quilt shop. Another LA'er in the area, but almost 70 miles one way, uses Hobbs, also has a shop, and I have bought from her, too.

As far as poof and dimension, I like a like a little but not a lot sometimes. Wool is my favorite batting, but I like the way the Quilter's Dream feels. I do like Hobb's also, but prefer Q.D. I have had my longarm for a couple years, but just starte for hire recently, so I keep the Select and Warm n Natural on hand always and when I need something different I buy double what I need so I hve some for the next time. Each quilt I finish I use most of the money to invest in rulers, batting, and thread. I am pretty much set with those. Stocking rolls of batting takes up a lot of room, and hopefully this spring we will finish the rest of our floors (provided my hubby's dog doesn't eat another circle saw) and things will be back in order so I have more room for batting.
    Last edited by knlsmith; 02-12-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Absolutely beautiful!

This is a gorgeous quilt!

Wonderful quilt. Thanks for the information about the book. I love to make log cabin quilts, and must try my hand at the half log cabins.

Beautiful. I am working on one from the same book. Your quilting looks great!
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

That's an all around beautiful quilt - everything about it.

I have a log cabin quilt waiting to be quilted; I like your idea of the large feathers. Very nice job!
    Julie B

Outstanding quilt.Your work is beautiful. I don't blame you for keeping it for yourself, I could not part with it if it were mine.

Blog Entries
    i'd say the effort was well worth it... really makes the design stand out. very nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Feel proud of yourself, this is so gorgeous.

That's a beautiful quilt. I love everything about it.

That is absolutely gorgeous!!! You have done a marvelous job. Thanks for sharing.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Beautiful quilt. I have that on my long to do list. I have the book Make a Quilt in a Day Log Cabin Pattern by Eleanor Burns. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast