Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Rescued?? >

Rescued??

Rescued??

Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Wow, thanks for all of your kind comments! You truly understand. OK, maybe I was feeling guilty for machine quilting this quilt and needed reassurance.

To answer the comment about trapunto, I hadn't really thought about it. The polyester batt that the client provided does give that look. It really helped to take up space in the applique' pieces, since some of those blocks were so poofy next to their neighbor. Quilt wrangling, that's what it was! and the curves and stippling helped it to lie flat. The quilt actually "grew" four inches by the time I got to the bottom of it!

This pattern is a version of a pattern called "Whig's Defeat" that was popular in the late 1800's.

I wish I had thought to take some "before" pictures!

In my opinion, the love of creating something truly beautiful has not changed since my great-grandmother's time, but this is a new generation of quilting. And in today's world, we quilt with the tools we have at hand. Not many of us have the time, the room to set up a quilt frame, nor the neighbors, friends and family that can come over to devote scores of hours hand-quilting. So we quilt with a machine, or we quilt with our checkbooks, and we still get the joy! :D Thanks again for your input.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77863.jpe  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Google Goddess

wow, beautiful!

Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA
Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 PM

It is a stunning quilt, and really enhanced by your quilting. I vote for whatever will bring out the beauty in a quilt the best, be it long-arm, domestic machine, or hand quilting. Congrats!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM

I don't think anyone would dare criticize your quilting this treasure with your longarm.
You have done an extraordinary job on this quilt. Your stippling and feathers are absolute perfection, and really showcases the appliques. It is breathtakingly beautiful.
Can you imagine what the Grandmother would think? I think she would be so happy to see her quilt. You did an awesome job. :-D
Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

I think you have done an amazing job with this. Shame you didn't take a "before" pic. You do know now you are going to get lots of referrals with this stunning restoration...so get ready for the next one!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM

that is gorgous i did not spell that right but it is fantastic it is just beautiful you could teach me any time i am just starting thanks dorothy fron tenn
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM

I am in awe Absolutely BEUTIFUL!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

That is truly gorgeous! I think you took something ordinary and made it absolutely stunning!!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM

First of all that is one special quilt, you saved a real treasure. I think that if more people had the machines that we had today there would have been more machine quilted quilts. Don't get me wrong, I love hand quilted quilts, but I would never be able to hand quilt a quilt. I myself don't think there is anything wrong with machine quilting an antique top. It helps preserve them. GORGEOUS!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Gal

Through your vision and experience you have transformed this top into a work of art!

Gal